Thread: De Mond Report Back

Default De Mond Report Back

Hi Guys,

It's been some years since I have visited De Mond, we use to fish it quite extensively during the late 1990's and early 2000's. So on Monday I decided it was time to visit De Mond again.

When leaving the N2 at Caledon I always enjoy the drive and the feeling of "now I am away" sets in. The amount of raptors along this road always amazes me and I counted no less than 40 Buzzards and Kites between Caledon and Napier (60 odd km's). Probably the grain fields attracting many pigeons and rodents.

Just some info:

• Distance from Somerset west - 175km (Travel time is close to 2 hours)
    • Gate Hours at De Mond - 7am to 6pm
    • Entrance Fee - R 40.00
    • Facilities - Apart from ablution there are also some benches to have a picnic under the Milkwoods.
    • Need a fishing License

High tide was at 08:57 (in the sea) and there is usually around 1 hour + delay between the sea and the estuary. It was overcast with a light South Easter on arrival and the wind increased to around 20 knots later in the day. The tide was not ideal (close to a neap), especially taken into account that I don't believe numbers of grunter are resident at this stage in the estuary. Water temp. was around 19/20 degrees.

I decided to head for the mouth to look for some Grunter, the overcast conditions made spotting fish difficult and I hoped to locate an area where the fish are tailing and then spend some time in that area. There were huge amounts of southern mullet in the shallows and since my last visit, probably 4 years back, the lagoon have grown some new, healthy grass beds. There has been a huge flood 4/5 years back and big parts of the grass flats have been choked, also the mud banks up from the bridge. With farming activities upriver the river currently also has lots more algae than what it use to have, especially up from the bridge.

Close to the mouth I saw a grunter tailing and decided to spend some time in the area. During the next two hours I saw two more tails and had one shot at a cruising fish, which I boogered up

Towards the mouth

The fish weren't there in numbers and I decided to head back, looking for fish. I spotted small pods of Striped Mullet on my way back and also under the bridge. I decided to go and investigate further up from the bridge during the receding tide. At the bend I met a local bait fisherman, he caught a 9kg Kob there on Monday, on livebait. I decided to fish the channel around the bend, targeting Kob for one hour, then go and look for the mullet. After an hour of catching 2 hundred pounders I decided this is too tiring on a day off, rather go and look for the mullet on lighter gear.

I started chumming the edge of a channel between two weedbeds and soon the Stripeys came into the chum line. Armed with a bread fly, sporting two jungle cock cheeks and a golden pheasant tail :wink: I presented this dainty dry fly amongst the feeding fish. Often these fish take off at blistering, water spraying speed and I once hooked one that leaped three times 2 meters far and 1 meter high. On light tackle, 5 or 6 weight rod, it's awesome fun. Soon I hooked a fish, again it took off, after landing it I took a few pics and released it. After this I had some more takes but didn't manage solid hook ups.

These fatties offer a great alternative to the standard fly rod species

I also took flies based on UK mullet techniques but the overcast conditions and ripple made it difficult to cast at sighted pods of fish.

That tail is designed to flee from hungry predators

In retrospect, De Mond is still a special place and if you are willing to adapt, the estuary still has lots to offer. Just smelling a clean ocean again was well worth the visit.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed report. You seem to be firing on the WC SW scene lately.
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

With what do you chum?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    With what do you chum?
    Hi Mario,

White bread. There were mainly single fish and then 2's and 3's together, there is no mistake when a striped mullet comes into the chum line and they can really smash the chum. Quite often you can hear the mullet taking chum further away, what I had found is to chum bread pieces similar to the size of fly you are using and also not to chum too much, creating competition between the fish to get to the chum first. Still these fish can refuse the fly at high speed, rejecting the fly at the last split second.

Mullet respond very well to pieces of pilchard and there are possibly lots of scope creating a small pilchard piece "fly" I have had good success catching striped mullet at night on the Kromme with small pieces of pilchard from a jetty, with the hook less than 2 meters under the rod tip, sitting in the dark. Hooking a striped mullet this close to the rod tip provides great sport.

Southern Mullet are very inquisitive and takes small flies like beaded GRHE's. Next time I will target these more, since there are so many and they really pull for their size.

Flathead/Bullnose mullets are probably the most difficult, also the biggest. A friend of mine fished De Mond extensively for these years back and his favourite fly was a black/chartreuse tag type woolly worm, quite big - #4 wide gape. The mullet have quite a soft mouth and smaller hooks don't hold. I use either Gama SC15 #4, #6 or C12 Caddis Medium wire in a size 8 or 10. The southern mullet respond well to the bread also, then you will need smaller hooks - #14 - #18. Mullet also respond well to Orange and Charteuse.

I also had two takes on a sunken version of the bread "fly". At times the fish will also eat the fly when twitched, retrieved slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the detailed report. You seem to be firing on the WC SW scene lately.
    Hi Ulrich,

I hope it sparks some interest to get more guys into saltwater fly fishing here in the Western Cape. Apart from a few die hards it seems like it is a dying breed down here. Still it offers a great alternative when the trout are not an option at this time of year.

Trust me it is very addictive

I am very very keen to get back into it...for sho!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Winelands Fly Fishing View Post
    Hi Ulrich,

I hope it sparks some interest to get more guys into saltwater fly fishing here in the Western Cape. Apart from a few die hards it seems like it is a dying breed down here. Still it offers a great alternative when the trout are not an option at this time of year.

Trust me it is very addictive
    Hi Philip,
    Dont have to explain the addiction to me, in two years it has become an obsession

I enjoy Salt Water Fishing myself with Conventional tackle but I must be honest I am still a bit wet behind the ears in most fishing departments, the amount of factors(weather, tide, Baromatic pressure, Fronts, season, time of day etc.) to consider in targeting set species(In salt specifically) is sometimes a bit overwhelming and that has been my main deterrant in jumping onto the SW Fly game.

I told myself if I reach all my goals on conventional tackle in 2015, would consider it as of the various facets I do enjoy FF the most.

But on a different note as you can target the Mullet on a 5/6 Wt, I would be keen on doing something like that if Winelands ever wanted to plan a Day Workshop/Trip or something like that.

Could be a nice learning experience.

Hi Guys,

The fishing at De Mond has picked up during the last month or so. Some good reports coming in, grunter, cob, leeries, elf and mullet being taken. This should last till end April. Head out there if you have a day to spare.

Hi Guys,

Lots of small Leeries at De Mond, Ryan fished it yesterday and him and Conrie landed many. Sure there are better specimens also. Great if you are new to the salt and want to experience a saltwater hookup. Better to fish debarbed hooks for the little leeries, since they quite often get hurt. Also lots of mullet in the system and some cob, Ryan spoke to a guy who fished there yesterday and he landed some cob on paddletails.