Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12-14 Weight fly reels

Default 12-14 Weight fly reels

Hi Guys

I need some help. I am in the market for a heavy weight fly reel to box with the beast at the Banks. I am looking at the following reels Tibor Pacific, Hatch 12 plus, Glavan Torque, 3-Tand T130, Abel Super 12 and Shilton Sl8. Has anyone got experience with any of these reels. I know there are some with great reputations. or something else that you could recommend.

Thanx Regards
    Eddie
    Carpe Diem

2. Default

Howzit Ed ... Have a look at the Colton reels, everyone who has used one LOVES it!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Howzit Ed ... Have a look at the Colton reels, everyone who has used one LOVES it!!!
    I have looked at them but who stocks it in SA?
    Carpe Diem

You can also look at the new Wade reels made here in SA..Seem to be good for the salt.
    The shilton ,galvan and tibor are good options but dont skip Ross (frontier does them now),they are superb

5. Default

Ed, refer to the Wade reel thread and the Colton reel thread. Based on that, I would choose the Colton. Some good friends whose opinion I would trust rate the Colton higher.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Eddie

I would definitely look no further than the Shilton and I would absolutely not go for the SL8 but rather the SL7. I have the SL8 and it holds about a 1000m of 80lbs backing. I will never see the end of all that line. The only advantage is that the line retrieval is a bit faster on the big reel but the weight difference makes the seven a much better option. The Shiltons are bulletproof and will never let you down.

Rig the reel with an Airflo Depth Finder line and fish 4/0 and 6/0 Mega Clousers in Chartreuse/White, Black/Purple and Tan/White.

Enjoy the trip!!!!

MC

ok cool! Thanx Will check it out!

Has anyone have any experience with a Penn International 4G anti reverse. Its an older reel but i can pick up a new one for really good price. The reviews i have read seems like the reel is really good and not one bad review. They say its really solid and has a really great drag that can stop n bus.
    Carpe Diem

I have heard only good reports from the Penn reels over the years.
    Very good drag, as well
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Eddie

I will stay very far away from anti-reverse flyreels when fishing heavy leaders and drag settings. The spool keeps on turning while you crank away and switching between palming and cranking is too slow. Straight one-on-one flyreels are less fussy with less parts that can break.....

There is a Shilton SL7 going for $300 on Facebook - look for Richard Morton

Cheers
    MC

Here is a link: https://www.facebook.com/richard.mor...ref=ts&fref=ts

The reel is in Cape Town.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast