Thread: Czech Nymph pattern ideas?

Default Czech Nymph pattern ideas?

Hi guys

Im looking for some suggestions on dropper flies.I know these flies need to be lighter on a czech nymph leader setup but am not sure what some recommended patterns are.
    Can someone please advise?Can they be micro nymphs with tungsten beads or flies with no weight at all?

thanks

I fish no weight PTN and GRHE size 14 and 16. In various colours

dropper flies should have varied weights depending on a few factors..Its wise to have flies from zero weight, to a 2 or 3 mm tungsten bead. Sometimes if you have zero weight on both dropper flies, you have to go too heavy on the control fly, and this could lead to decreased sensitivity in picking up the delicate takes. Try matching the weights of the dropper flies to the weight of the control fly, according to the speed of the current, and the depth you need to get the flies to. Its going to take a bit of experimentation, but in the end you will find a good balance, but to choose dropper flies with zero weight, all the time, is going to be limiting.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

What I have applied previously, with regards to the top dropper, is to tie on a 14 Mustard caddis or black flashback...did the job quite well...also serves as an excellent point fly...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

are jig flies recommended for droppers?

Jig flies are probably better for Stillwater trout flies, but as dropper flies for yellows on a CZN rig???....don't know, could be, although I doubt that they would make a significant difference, but worth a try I suppose.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I would suggest droppers normal flies and on the point a jig fly. Jig flies prevent that the flies get stuck between stones. I use a hare's ear jig fly on the point size 14 or 16. On the dropper I use Czech nymphs style like http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/333
    Grts,

Gino V.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    Flyfishing is a way of live
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mind set, and with time, an obsession.

<)))>< your fish <--------> my fish ><((((((((((((((((>