Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Float tubes in salt water(estuaries)

Default Float tubes in salt water(estuaries)

Anyone using their float tubes in the salt? Would like to read of their experiences - would my Explorer handle the salt regarding rust, etc?

I have done it in the transkie in my explorer, no worries re salt and rust ... just hose it off afterwards.

Must say i didn't really enjoy it though, kept wondering how many zambezi's were circling below me ...
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Even down on the Garden Route where I stay, we have had the Zams as far south as the Breede. Someone was using a cast net for live bait and ended up with a Zam in his net in my local river - Little Brak River. Maybe a SUP is a safer bet but I have to sell my Rebel 440 first!

Quote Originally Posted by white death View Post
    Even down on the Garden Route where I stay, we have had the Zams as far south as the Breede. Someone was using a cast net for live bait and ended up with a Zam in his net in my local river - Little Brak River. Maybe a SUP is a safer bet but I have to sell my Rebel 440 first!
    Holy moly!
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Its not 1 April yet...Is it?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Just imagine bobbing in the water with the Jaws music theme going through your brain. LOL
    Fish For The Future
    Please Catch And Release

I have recently moved to Small Brak and been concentrating there ,have you seem Zambezi's in the river. Near the mouth or up river

We use our float tubes in closed estuaries here in the EC. Would use them in the tidal rivers to, but only on neap tides seeing that the tide really rips through our local river mouths and I don't smaak paddling around at sea.

Just rinse the tube well, especially the zips. I also spray the zips with silicone spray.

The krom river will certainly take you out to sea if you fish the river mouth area on tube with a strong dropping tide. Hilros knows what he is talking about!!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

I have not seen any sharks in Little Brak personally but the one accidently netted a couple of years back was at the weir upstream of the Riverside Caravan Park. The water is not that clear so visibility limited. We also had crocs in the river when a dam burst on a croc farm upstream - they say that they have all been captured or shot????
    Exciting place to fish. Knysna Lagoon also has some BIG sharks and a couple of the locals used to target them in the evening near the Heads from boats. All released.
    I definitely would not fish from a float tube near the mouth of any river but as a means to reach some sandbanks. The wind is also a factor so one will have to plan your fishing area accordingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast