Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stinger Hooks - Lure type Flies

Default Stinger Hooks - Lure type Flies

Hi Guys,

Played around with some lure type flies last night, has anyone had any success with tying in a second stinger/trailer hook into the fly?

The main reason for this is because I am tying bigger lure type flies for Bass and sometimes when they strike at bigger lures they tend to "short" strike if I can call it that as these flies tend to have a longer tail that your average woolly bugger.

Also what type hooks would you suggest?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

This is the fly in question, I tested it in some local ponds and it has a very nice profile in the water, smaller bass just keeps nipping but not commiting.

Lure.jpg

If you're gonna do it make sure you're using straight eyed hooks (Gamakatsu B10s. Daiichi and TMC also do a straight eyed hook can't remember the reference) or shanks. I buy my shanks at a hardware store it's like R2 a pop I don't like the "game changer" styled shanks, the eyes are too small for my liking, they minimize movement. Also, your target specie will determine how strong the connection ought to be. I like using 57lb mono when doing a 1x hook + 1x shank combination but when I'm using multiple shanks or hooks I might use 30lb braid to connect the lot but aren't really a fan of this. See pics of 1x hook 1x shank connection.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-02-15 at 12:18 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    This is the fly in question, I tested it in some local ponds and it has a very nice profile in the water, smaller bass just keeps nipping but not commiting.

Lure.jpg
    i like that fly - nice and simple! Black tail and black body could be a nice tadpole immitation.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Grant,

Its called the Babich Bass Bugger, once again thanks to Youtube

I agree on the tadpole imitation and I did tie a few all black too, but due to the smaller size, I tend to get frustrated spinning the marabou head, but I feel the white head does give it that translucent look which is prevalent in a lot of the smaller minnows you generally see in farm ponds where I try for bass.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    If you're gonna do it make sure you're using straight eyed hooks (Gamakatsu B10s. Daiichi and TMC also do a straight eyed hook can't remember the reference) or shanks. I buy my shanks at a hardware store it's like R2 a pop I don't like the "game changer" styled shanks, the eyes are too small for my liking, they minimize movement. Also, your target specie will determine how strong the connection ought to be. I like using 57lb mono when doing a 1x hook + 1x shank combination but when I'm using multiple shanks or hooks I use 30lb braid to connect the lot. See pics of 1x hook 1x shank connection.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Those look pretty bad-@ss, thanks for the explanation.

Cheers

No worries re: marabou head put a bunch of feathers into a clip or something and insert the lot into a split thread or dubbing loop (I prefer the latter one as I'm using nano silk which doesn't add any bulk) you can create kick-ass heads. Check on Chris van der Post's site there is a black bugger fly on there which is based on one of my LM flies.

Ps. Found another link to a post which was done on here. The first fly.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 18-02-15 at 12:37 PM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

That black bugger, reminds me of something I saw on "in the Riffle", its called the Becks Super Bugger, check it out, it might be a potential yellowfish fly in the right colours or sizes. It has a lot of body to it but I am not sure how it would look in the water.

My attempt from last night went disastrous

BSB Attempt.jpg

Here is another one moer of a schlep fly to tie with only one hook and multiple shanks...

4.jpg
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Here is another one moer of a schlep fly to tie with only one hook and multiple shanks...

4.jpg
    'n SBS asseblief?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast