Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off Shore Fishing - Does Seasick pills help

Default Off Shore Fishing - Does Seasick pills help

Hi guys,

Hope you all keen for the weekend.

A quick question, I have always wanted to go on a boat for yellowtail / Tuna fishing around the western cape peninsula, I do however get seasick very badly and I know for this type of fishing you tend to go pretty far out, so that has been the main downer for me.

Does anyone know of any good medication that can be obtained to maybe nullify this effect? Something available locally.

This is something I have on my short term bucket list and that I would like to work towards this year.

Thanks
    Ulrich
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

Eat lots of ProNutro as a breakfast, Make sure your stomach is full.

When you do get seasick, you have enough in your stomach to do a decent puke, and the ProNutro will not scratch your throat,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Ah Korrie the clown

He's actually right. Nothing worse than having nothing to puke out. I have had mixed experiences with taking the meds. Mostly this is a very individual thing. Some guys get it bad some dont.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thanks Bryan,

I used meds once when I went on a Cruise ship, on the cruise ship itself everything went fine, but at an island stop we were taken offshore on rubber ducks, on the return trip at the end of the day I made the mistake of standing up in the rubber duck before getting back on the Cruise shipped and I was almost instantly sick. So ya, I get it very badly.

My brother in law, was so bad, he got motion sickness from a normal swing.
    He gets is so bad, on a flat sea, 1 km from the harbour he starts hurling
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Haha Korrie, the Pronutro might chum the water nicely for the fish; i used an anti-nausea tablet called Stugeron, it worked for me. Also try and eat even if feel abit sea sick.

You can also try the plasters behind the ears, with the pills. We usually just gave up on the meds and went through the sickness. The rule is just not to stop fishing, as long as you catch something, or the boat is moving, it is better.

As with Korrie and the pronutro, he is right. We also worked in some canned peaches to make it taste better!!!

As much as I like Peaches and Pronutro, using it as lubricant for my throat is not a solution I want to test on the day

Maybe for now I should focus on something closer to land...

Blog Entries

Yip, Stugeron works a charm - Just makes you a bit sleepy but its better than throwing up for hours at a time and then feel sleepy after that anyway.

If you are inside the bay at the cape, or going maybe just out to the bellows you will be fine, if its 40 nautical mile trek for Tuna through, its a whole different story.

Good luck and tight lines!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast