Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate line

Default Intermediate line

Hi everyone.

I am heading down to Notties this weekend for the first weekend of fishing of the year. I gather it's still a little warm so I am considering getting an intermediate line as I normally and have always just loved fishing floating line. 2 questions please:
    1. Do you recommend making the investment?
    2. I have a Scott Radian 5-weight, what's the best line (fast/medium/slow??) to get?

Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Oelschig View Post
    Hi everyone.

I am heading down to Notties this weekend for the first weekend of fishing of the year. I gather it's still a little warm so I am considering getting an intermediate line as I normally and have always just loved fishing floating line. 2 questions please:
    2. I have a Scott Radian 5-weight, what's the best line (fast/medium/slow??) to get?

Thanks so much
    Howsit Dean

I know sci anglers make a stillwater line which is a low sinker i think " Mastery Series Stillwater "

or

if you are looking for something to sink a bit quicker there streamer express is very good .

Look at Airflo too intermediate line is always a good option for stillwaters. Not sure how deep it is there so I'm gonna go with DI 1.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Oelschig View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thanks so much
    For Stillwater fishing, an intermediate is your bread-and-butter line.
    I would recommend an Airflo Sixth Sense (non-stretch) fast intermediate - either the 5/6 or the 6/7 model.
    Not having cast a 5wt Radian, I cannot comment which of the two would be a better choice on the rod.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks everyone. Intermediate line it is.

Its a crappy rod, but i will take it off your hands cheap cheap! :biggrin:

Jokes aside - i echo what the other guys say - Airflo sixth sense fast intermediate - it is a fantastic line!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Jokes aside - i echo what the other guys say - Airflo sixth sense fast intermediate - it is a fantastic line!
    Agreed, really enjoy the sixth sense fast intermediate.
    Check your knots!

I suggest a slow intermediate, as you can always fish with heavier flies to get down a bit faster. Or count down a couple of seconds longer
    But a faster sinking line, a bit more difficult to stay in the "zone".
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I suggest a slow intermediate, as you can always fish with heavier flies to get down a bit faster. Or count down a couple of seconds longer
    But a faster sinking line, a bit more difficult to stay in the "zone".
    If you can afford to buy both i would buy both the fast and the slow. If you can only afford 1, i would recommend the fast glass - i get far more use out of it than the slow glass (i have both).
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    If you can afford to buy both i would buy both the fast and the slow. If you can only afford 1, i would recommend the fast glass - i get far more use out of it than the slow glass (i have both).
    I recall an incident at the Commonwealth champs in Wales.
    Phil Dixon was in our group.
    For some reason, his floating line, was not in his reel bag.
    The fish was on the top for about 30 minutes of the session.
    He took his intermediate line (not sure if it was slow or fast) but ended up applying GINK floatant to the line, every 3rd cast.
    He ended up with 2 fish that he would not have had.
    a bit of creative thinking. So if you go for the faster sinking line and you need it a bit higher in the water column, apply floatant.
    I have a floating line, with a drooping tip. At first I wanted to give it away, then the Midge tip lines became very popular. This line is now my "Midge Tip" line
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast