Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Reels to balance Sage Esn 3wt?

Default Reels to balance Sage Esn 3wt?

What reels are you guys using for your Sage Esn 3wt's (10ft)?

Quote Originally Posted by lacustris View Post
    A Nymphing rod needs something suitable. Check if maybe someone still have a nighthawk, maybe secondhand as I think they were discontinued , awesome nymphing reel.
    Can you explain what a goodwill nymphing reel is. Surely the reel is irrelevant other than it's weight in relation to a rod weight to balance it??

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    What reels are you guys using for your Sage Esn 3wt's (10ft)?
    You want something that weights around ~150-170grams before you add backing + line.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

thanks Gary

Yes, you are quite correct. The brand or whatever, is meaningless. The weight of the reel is a personal thing also. Also the type of nymphing that you will be doping is also a factor in influencing the comfort of the rig. If you are going to be doing ESN, then you will be using a different casting technique than you would use for Czech nymphing. so if you have the oppoortunity to try a few different weights , you would be well served by doing so. I find that Czech nymphing is more comfortable for me with a heavier reel, and ESN is more comfortable with a lighter reel. best to try and find the best of both worlds if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Can you explain what a goodwill nymphing reel is. Surely the reel is irrelevant other than it's weight in relation to a rod weight to balance it??
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Not often that I agree with Andre but in this case I do. Try a lighter reel before you splash out on a heavier one. I way prefer my Sage Click III to my Shilton CR3 on my Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt even though the rod looks very tip heavy with the Click.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Not often that I agree with Andre but in this case I do. Try a lighter reel before you splash out on a heavier one. I way prefer my Sage Click III to my Shilton CR3 on my Echo Shadow II 10' 3wt even though the rod looks very tip heavy with the Click.
    Surprised the forum did not break
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

There's a glitch in the MATRIX

thanks Darryl and Mario...i have heard a number of guys preferring the sage click to a heavier 6/7 wt reel.
    I guess it just comes down to personal preference as usual.
    While im on this topic ive been using a wf line on my rod for euro but also heard a dt may be better?Darryl can you give some input here?

Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    thanks Darryl and Mario...i have heard a number of guys preferring the sage click to a heavier 6/7 wt reel.
    I guess it just comes down to personal preference as usual.
    While im on this topic ive been using a wf line on my rod for euro but also heard a dt may be better?Darryl can you give some input here?
    You certainly wouldn't use a 6/7wt reel on an ESN 3wt. That would be like trying to use a mini as a 16 seater taxi. The reason why guys prefer the Click, is simply because its a nice light reel, and well matched to the rod, but any reel in that weight class would do just fine.
    Also, if you are Euro nymphing, the flyline actually makes absolutely no difference, because you are not using the flyline. The casts are leader only casts, with a long leader.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast