Thread: Slow vs Fast

Default Slow vs Fast

@ interesting clips that Pieter Snyders sent me this morning. Would be keen to hear everyone's observations and thoughts on the slow vs fast debate.

and
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Lasse Karlsson seems to be able to cast a bit btw (https://vimeo.com/user1079324)
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario Geldenhuys

My opinion, is that most "shorter distance" technical casts are better served by a slower and more open loop rod, and a distance casts are better served by a fat rod. which can cast tight loops. Closed loops are critical for distance, and fast rods are designed for this.
    There are of course times when a tight loop is required for short casts, but generally a faster rod is required for these.
    The article refers to saltwater fly fishing, where distance is a huge requirement... hence the fact that most good salt water rods are 9feet long and have a typically faster action, which provides a good cross section between the rods capability to make the required casts and the pulling power required.
    I believe that there is a very important place for both fast and slow rods, but its very application dependent, and depends very much on personal preference.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Okay, so what is your opinion on the 2 clips? 2 very different rods with similar line speed and loops - that was more what I was hoping to discuss - not rod speed in general.
    Mario Geldenhuys

The conclusion is probably "its more the caster and his action than the rod"

I have slow and fast rods - I see the same artifacts of bad casting technique no matter which type I cast. Personally I prefer slower rods, just love the way they feel (and fish).

What is very interesting is the fact that the softer rod constantly sends pulses through the flyline.If you look nicely you see how dead the stiff rods line is once cast whereas the softer rod seems to have constant movement in the flyline caused by the ever moving tip.
    This leads me to thing a slower action rod with maybe a stiff tip is a beter rod as at longer distance you should eliminate the movement in the line and have beter casts.
    Make me wonder if slower rods in anything heavier than a 0wt is worthwhile

Infact,that constant wave action the slower rod produces is probably the reason they dont cast as far???Just a thought

I pretty much have to agree with you . That "pulse, or wave " action you describe, is caused by a wobbly tip, which isn't nice on any rod , fast or slow, but it isn't always caused by the tip, and can also be caused by the middle section sending the tip into a wobble. I agree that slow rods don't really cast far too well, , but then, they aren't really designed for distance casting. My take, is that if you want to cast far, go for a fast rod.
    Also, don't discount the benefits of an open loop cast in various fishing applications. Sometimes a fast rod, tight loop isn't always a good thing, and slower rods are much better at the open loop.
    I also notice that the slow rod has a tendancy to drop the tip of the line, and this could be because the caster is trying to force the cast. I would have liked to see both casts at normal speed. Im sure that the speed of the two casting arcs, are not quite the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    What is very interesting is the fact that the softer rod constantly sends pulses through the flyline.If you look nicely you see how dead the stiff rods line is once cast whereas the softer rod seems to have constant movement in the flyline caused by the ever moving tip.
    This leads me to thing a slower action rod with maybe a stiff tip is a beter rod as at longer distance you should eliminate the movement in the line and have beter casts.
    Make me wonder if slower rods in anything heavier than a 0wt is worthwhile
    Last edited by Andre; 24-04-15 at 06:34 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

When making shorts casts, the softer rod will load easier.
    So, if 80% of your fishing is only a quarter or a third of a fly line away, you should be getting a softer rod.
    When fishing longer, a faster rod will be better.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension