Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Eastern Free State & Northern Berg Trout.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    468

    Default Eastern Free State & Northern Berg Trout.

    Hi guys.

    Anybody recently (last winter) fished any good stillwaters in the Clarens, Fouriesburg, Harrismith or Memel areas? Does 'Breezie Brae' still exist in the Biggarsberg area or are there any other good trout spots in that area of Normandien/ Newcastle?
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Free state
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    Dirk,clarens het nie meer damme nie behalwe as jy craigrossi huise book maar dit kos paar rand nou.Kannie meer dag besoek.
    Die dorps dam is blykbaar gestock maar nie seker daaroor
    De molen was fantasties 2 naweke terug maar dink hy is weer dun

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Dirk,clarens het nie meer damme nie behalwe as jy craigrossi huise book maar dit kos paar rand nou.Kannie meer dag besoek.
    Die dorps dam is blykbaar gestock maar nie seker daaroor
    De molen was fantasties 2 naweke terug maar dink hy is weer dun
    Hel John.
    So wat jy my sÍ is dat Vrystaat forel hengel op drimpel staan om sy #$*& te sien?
    Want.....
    1. Graigrossie se een dam is vol karp en troebel, en die ander dam is so toegegroei met gras.
    2.Dorpsdam, Townsland, of te wel Clarens club dam, is laas so vol van daai massiewe miere gewees, mens kan nie waag om op die walle te staan jy moet instap.....hoor maar Andre stock nie meer soos hy het, weet nie wat is die club se politiek tans.
    3. Zaaihoek toe vir publiek, Metsi Matso en Fika Patso is uitgevang of as jy by jou kar kom is alles uitgesteel. Sediba is belaglik duur, en die ander is almal kleiiiinnn dammetjies met die "odd" vis hier en daar. Sien selfs Driekoppen in Memel area wat so spog forel plaas sou word is nou lyk my suiwer jag plaas niks op webtuiste oor forel nie. Royal Coachman se hengel seker ook nie so goed en seker soos Graigrossie betaal mens baie as jy eindelik net gaan vir hengel?
    So dis die klein caledon wat nou binnekort sluit en dan die semi vloed As rivier.....wat nou sluit.
    Smaak my ek oor die berg moet begin kyk :-(
    Dankie John.
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Guys

    I am currently on a break in the Fouriesburg area and thought I would try to get in some trout fishing whilst down here. I can confirm that I contacted Craig Rossie yesterday, to see if they had day tickets available, only to be told by the lady on the phone that they no longer have any trout fishing available on the property. She went on further to tell me that they have also sold off the chalets, so there is no accommodation to rent anymore.

    I then contacted Clarens Xtreme who confirmed that the only stillwater option available is in the Townlands dam. This has apparently not been stocked as the "season has not really started yet". So it looks like the only option available is de Molen, but the Little Caledon is very low at the moment.

    So it does indeed look like the trout fishing in the Eastern FS is about to see it's @rse - such a pity......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Why not get yourself to the Ash river and have a blast. It should really be firing about now. Sterkfontein is also not too far.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Why not get yourself to the Ash river and have a blast. It should really be firing about now. Sterkfontein is also not too far.
    The problem with the Ash at this stage is accessibility. As far as I know the Ash flows in it's entirety on private owned ground and mostly farmers that are not pro-fishing. The few that do allow it, you have to work through a guide situated in Clarens and (I might be wrong with the amounts) half day costs R450-650 and full day is like R750-950. It should be said that fishing the Ash is risky alone, as with a almost constant 50-80cms flow and the cold water, drowining and hyperthermia is a real danger. Normal gear not the norm as it seems 6wt minumum and at least a intermediate or DI 5 sinkline with big streamers are the way to go. Another problem is that there is no official closed season on this river and I see this as a problem for fish stocks in the future as I know some guys fish it in winter.

    So "normal" style dam/reservior fishing seems to have died out almost......except for Zaaihoek, but at R3000+ a night per person is out of the middle income anglers scope.
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Honestly another thing is that as far as I know FS Conservation is not issuing permits for trout stocking, or it is still being decided about, or the application for stocking is such a nightmare, so most places play safe and do not stock. I know some "illegal stocking" did/is taking place. It seems Clarens as a whole is on a downhill slope as I was there not to long ago and it did seem quiter and more derelic than compared to maybe 2-3years ago.
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    750 -950 for a full days guiding, is for nothing, take it. It is a very small price to pay for what will probably be an unforgettable experience.
    At that price, one can only hope that the guides are any good. for those risks, the guides would know the story, and be a valuable source of local knowledge and safety. I don't see any major problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    The problem with the Ash at this stage is accessibility. As far as I know the Ash flows in it's entirety on private owned ground and mostly farmers that are not pro-fishing. The few that do allow it, you have to work through a guide situated in Clarens and (I might be wrong with the amounts) half day costs R450-650 and full day is like R750-950. It should be said that fishing the Ash is risky alone, as with a almost constant 50-80cms flow and the cold water, drowining and hyperthermia is a real danger. Normal gear not the norm as it seems 6wt minumum and at least a intermediate or DI 5 sinkline with big streamers are the way to go. Another problem is that there is no official closed season on this river and I see this as a problem for fish stocks in the future as I know some guys fish it in winter.

    So "normal" style dam/reservior fishing seems to have died out almost......except for Zaaihoek, but at R3000+ a night per person is out of the middle income anglers scope.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Free state
    Posts
    1,532

    Default

    There is a farmer that gives access to the Ash at only R250 per day.I heard from a friend of mine,was not there myself

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Viljoenskroon/Bothaville- Free State
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    750 -950 for a full days guiding, is for nothing, take it. It is a very small price to pay for what will probably be an unforgettable experience.
    At that price, one can only hope that the guides are any good. for those risks, the guides would know the story, and be a valuable source of local knowledge and safety. I don't see any major problems.
    Sorry must be the cheap skate in me coming out :-P
    Andre you make valid points, money is no object when it comes to safety, but the experience of the guide should be good also.
    Dirk Human

    Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •