Thread: fishing Alaska

Default fishing Alaska

Good day Ladies and gents,

I hope you are all well, and managing to get your lines wet on a regular basis. I am going to be spending a bit of time in Alaska over the next couple of months. Specifically anchorage, but will have access to surrounding areas. I am planning on doing plenty of salmon fishing while i am there. Since i have never fished for salmon on fly, I am looking for some advise. I am generally a small stick trout fisherman, and a big stick salt water fisherman, I doubt either of my set ups are going to be suitable for salmon fishing, maybe i am wrong, in all the articles i have read they seem to use quiet heavy setups, but do not mention the exact weight etc. Advise regarding Rod wt/reel/recommended line/leader set ups etc etc would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has fished alaska, general advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, have a great long weekend.

Guido

I have fished there, never hooked into the real big salmon
    I got around with a #7 and in smaller streams with a #5.
    Biggest I landed was a 82cm fish.
    I never felt that I was outgunned on #7.
    Caught Pink, Coho, Sockeye and Chum, but not the Chinook/King Salmon (they get to the really big sizes)
    Enjoy Alaska, it is a very special place. Lovely, friendly people
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I have fished there, never hooked into the real big salmon
    I got around with a #7 and in smaller streams with a #5.
    Biggest I landed was a 82cm fish.
    I never felt that I was outgunned on #7.
    Caught Pink, Coho, Sockeye and Chum, but not the Chinook/King Salmon (they get to the really big sizes)
    Enjoy Alaska, it is a very special place. Lovely, friendly people
    thanks very much for the response Korrie. the local advise seems to be between a 7-9wt(and even up to a 10wt for the kings during the run), I have two decent full 9wt setups, and a 10wt as well. think i am going to stick with this, if it turns out to heavy. ill make a plan there. I am looking very forward to anchorage, in fact struggling to sleep at night just thinking about it. ha ha ha.

One piece of advice, make sure you have a SUPER EFFECIENT rainjacket/wading jacket
    If you do not have one, get one when you land there.
    Budget for it.
    A friend of mine was a doctor there for a number of months.
    That was his advise.
    But how strange, we spent a week there, and it was last week in September, the last week of the "season" before every thing gets shuttered up for the winter.
    and we had a week of sunshine. The most sunshine, the warmest and the least amount of rain for that week in 100 years of record keeping. I must admit, That was a super blessing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension