Thread: Swedish garden-route-tourist needs help

Default Swedish garden-route-tourist needs help

My name is Denis and I live in Gothenburg, Sweden. I'll be living in Wilderness on the garden route june, july and august and since 2-3 years i'm in love with the awesome sport of fly fishing**So far I have only been fishing for trouts, brown ones and seatrouts (all around 0-3 kg, well they dont grow that much bigger where I fish).

Now I hope to get some information about salt water (even fresh water) fly fishing in the area. After reading through a couple of threads here I think I have understood that I almost can forget about decent salt water fly fishing during these winter months? Is it right that garricks, leeries etc need warmer water to enter the estuaries or what you call these "river" mouths? And bass fishing is very slow as well, right? How about trout fishing? Is there trout in many rivers?

Will anyone of you guys help a swede who only has fished on the other side of our globe?*

P.s. I'll be free all the entire three months so I'll be able to fish A LOT. Hopefully with one of you guys!

Hi Denis

Hi

You are welcome to contact me at 0824535167 (cell)when you arrive at Wilderness. I stay about 45kms from Wilderness. As you have stated, the fishing is pretty patchy in the months you will be staying here. There should be some juvenille Leeries in the estuaries as I caught some last winter but it was a mild one.

Robin

Hi
    I will forward you the name of a friend of mine that lives in that area, with a boat, he will be to happy to take you fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Denis, if you are keen on making the trip down to the Breede, I have a house and boat in Witsand and will happily take you out fishing. 079 905 6577

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hitting Sedgefield tomorrow - There's plenty Grunter at the moment - Will give feed back of what came out.
    Salt can be frustrating as you have to cover a lot of water. The time of the year is not the best for Garrick as the water temperature has dropped.
    The grunter will stay around, but that is another hunt that is known to be very frustrating.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Hi again guys!

Wow, never thought i would get as many as four great answers. You guys are awesome, can't wait to learn more about your culture. I guess you South African guys are more inviting and outgoing than us Scandinavians

Robin, where are you staying? Maybe these juvenile leeries aren't so bad at all for me since i've never fished for biggies on a fly and my set up is a #6 rod! Are they large enough to make dinner of? I'm sure i read about some length regulation the other day. Even if i release like 95 % of my catches in Sweden i'll be interested in tasting a South african fish someday.

Korrie, that would be a dream if you could do that and if he wants to have his own padawan to learn the south african style of salt water fishing

Hi Mark. My map says Breede is located inland, north east of Cape Town. Will there be fresh water fishing? Any of you guys know something about fresh water fishing in general in the western cape area?

Hi there Brian. How was your fishing in Sedgefield? How large Grunters can you fish during winter? Will i be able to catch fish without a boat at all? Do you guys wade through water at all?

Thanks again for your help guys! Much appreciated!

Hi Denis
    I got a few little Garrick at the train bridge area. There are a lot of them around at the moment. The Grunter are also there. I fished a articulated sand prawn imitation and missed a monster that I could not set the hook into. Grunter fishing is testy, but exciting when you fish on white sand banks and can see the fish. At the Sedgefield mouth I had a look from the parking and could see schools of Grunter and a couple fish that looked like cob. I marked the spot and went down to the rocks. Casting was tricky as there were trees 8 meters behind me, but with a solid double haul and a good punch got the line out far enough to matter. There was a big current so I put on a chartreuse of white clouser to get the fly down to the sandy bottom. I hooked and lost one fish there. So all in all, there are fish in Sedgefield and worth the trip.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"