Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Orvis frequent flyer series

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    KZN
    Posts
    17

    Default Orvis frequent flyer series

    Greetings all,

    I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the above mentioned rod. I am looking at getting two new #5 rods. These are 7 piece rods which makes them really appealing to me, as I do a lot of traveling and they can literally fit into a backpack. My only concern is how does a 7 piece affect the rod action? I have never used a 7 piece before, most of mine of 4 piece. I would appreciate any personal experience, if you would be kind enough to shame.

    Guido

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    909

    Default

    I have the seven piece version of this rod. The action is quite slow if find, which might annoy you if your are used to faster action rods, Can't beat the convenience though .... fits in your had luggage!
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firephish View Post
    I have the seven piece version of this rod. The action is quite slow if find, which might annoy you if your are used to faster action rods, Can't beat the convenience though .... fits in your had luggage!
    Rather put in your suitcase, one day you will have problems on overseas flights. I have experiences to know, it can be big problems
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Very convenient for travel, but as far aas a decent fly rod is concerned... no not really. It basically a poor performer, and something of a gimmick.
    I don't think its a fly rod to be taken very serieously, and with most of today multiple piece rods, that fit into a suitcase... go for something better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Greetings all,

    I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with the above mentioned rod. I am looking at getting two new #5 rods. These are 7 piece rods which makes them really appealing to me, as I do a lot of traveling and they can literally fit into a backpack. My only concern is how does a 7 piece affect the rod action? I have never used a 7 piece before, most of mine of 4 piece. I would appreciate any personal experience, if you would be kind enough to shame.

    Guido
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I don't think its a fly rod to be taken very serieously, and with most of today multiple piece rods, that fit into a suitcase... go for something better.
    The only one I can think of would be the 5-piece Winston - what others would you recommend André?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

    "All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Basically all the Sage 4 piece rods, even the longer ones have easily fitted into my suitcase for travel, but then, depends on the size of the suitcase really, but I have not experienced any problems carrying my rods anywhere. Hand luggage for rods is not an option anyway due them not being allowed on flights, but in the days they were allowed, they still fitted into the overhead locker quite comfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    The only one I can think of would be the 5-piece Winston - what others would you recommend André?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    408

    Default

    If you travel frequently you probably have one of the smaller cases (like me) and then a 4 piece doesnt fit.

    I bought some of the 6 piece cabellas rods and they pack very easily and fish quite decent. Its useful if your travelling mainly for business with a day or two of fishing in between. If I was travelling purely for fishing I would take a bigger case and put in my 4 piece rod.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    North west
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Here is a link

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...ods/732371.uts

    theyre on sale every once in a while for $100

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    KZN
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Very convenient for travel, but as far aas a decent fly rod is concerned... no not really. It basically a poor performer, and something of a gimmick.
    I don't think its a fly rod to be taken very serieously, and with most of today multiple piece rods, that fit into a suitcase... go for something better.
    Andre, this is what concerns me. All the reviews I have read are done by orvis, or a retailer that is trying to sell the product, I'll carry on looking. I have not yet found a review written by the average fisherman. Thanks Yella, I'll take a look at that link.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Azania
    Posts
    2,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Hardy Smuggler?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •