Thread: Fishing guide for Komati

Default Fishing guide for Komati

Hi all

I will be on holiday close to Komatipoort in July (Ngwenya), and was hoping to do some fishing. Can anyone recommend a guide for me?

Also, when is considered tiger season in this part of the world, and is it worth it?

I have seen the various threads on this topic, but they are really old, so any updated info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ryno

Not really the season but you will catch. Season usually starts Sept and ends March. Good thing about winter is the water is clear, summer can be a pain with the flooding and the river goes a horrible brown so it can be hit or mis. I'll send you Craig's number via PM and ask first how the fishing is before deciding.

When you say "not really the season", are you meaning that the river is closed to fishing, or that the tigers are not really on the bite?
    I know that the months of June through August are great for Botswana and Zambia, and some great fishing is had in these months, so why should Komati be any different? Is it just that other times of the year are better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Not really the season but you will catch. Season usually starts Sept and ends March. Good thing about winter is the water is clear, summer can be a pain with the flooding and the river goes a horrible brown so it can be hit or mis. I'll send you Craig's number via PM and ask first how the fishing is before deciding.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Take your passport along, theres a very good dam on the way to Maputo that has some huge tigers in it, and it and there are guides with boats. Well worth the trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Hi all

I will be on holiday close to Komatipoort in July (Ngwenya), and was hoping to do some fishing. Can anyone recommend a guide for me?

Also, when is considered tiger season in this part of the world, and is it worth it?

I have seen the various threads on this topic, but they are really old, so any updated info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ryno
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Ngwenya is op die Krokodil Rivier. Bel Komati River Chalets (082-3474669) - hulle het 'n guide op die Komati en dit is seker so 30 odd kilo's weg vanaf Ngwenya.
    Koromanabanana scare my - moenie na Andre luister nie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I know that the months of June through August are great for Botswana and Zambia, and some great fishing is had in these months, so why should Komati be any different?
    Could be the 1300km between Komatipoort and the Zambezi in Zambia.

Thanks guys, got hold of Craig at Nkomazi Safaris who will assist

Mario, Koromanabanana ?!

Yes I know, that's why I asked. The two regions have similar climate characteristics, so I cant really see why they should be that different, but having only fished in the Mpumalanga area once for tigers many years ago, I don't have much personal experience to go by.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Could be the 1300km between Komatipoort and the Zambezi in Zambia.

Water temp drops. Tigers like warm water. They still need to eat but they less active. The warmer months are definitely better but the flooding causes havoc.