Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fishing guide for Komati

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodmead, Sandton
    Posts
    114

    Default Fishing guide for Komati

    Hi all

    I will be on holiday close to Komatipoort in July (Ngwenya), and was hoping to do some fishing. Can anyone recommend a guide for me?

    Also, when is considered tiger season in this part of the world, and is it worth it?

    I have seen the various threads on this topic, but they are really old, so any updated info would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Ryno

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Not really the season but you will catch. Season usually starts Sept and ends March. Good thing about winter is the water is clear, summer can be a pain with the flooding and the river goes a horrible brown so it can be hit or mis. I'll send you Craig's number via PM and ask first how the fishing is before deciding.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    When you say "not really the season", are you meaning that the river is closed to fishing, or that the tigers are not really on the bite?
    I know that the months of June through August are great for Botswana and Zambia, and some great fishing is had in these months, so why should Komati be any different? Is it just that other times of the year are better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Not really the season but you will catch. Season usually starts Sept and ends March. Good thing about winter is the water is clear, summer can be a pain with the flooding and the river goes a horrible brown so it can be hit or mis. I'll send you Craig's number via PM and ask first how the fishing is before deciding.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Take your passport along, theres a very good dam on the way to Maputo that has some huge tigers in it, and it and there are guides with boats. Well worth the trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Hi all

    I will be on holiday close to Komatipoort in July (Ngwenya), and was hoping to do some fishing. Can anyone recommend a guide for me?

    Also, when is considered tiger season in this part of the world, and is it worth it?

    I have seen the various threads on this topic, but they are really old, so any updated info would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Ryno
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Azania
    Posts
    2,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Ngwenya is op die Krokodil Rivier. Bel Komati River Chalets (082-3474669) - hulle het 'n guide op die Komati en dit is seker so 30 odd kilo's weg vanaf Ngwenya.
    Koromanabanana scare my - moenie na Andre luister nie.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Azania
    Posts
    2,184
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I know that the months of June through August are great for Botswana and Zambia, and some great fishing is had in these months, so why should Komati be any different?
    Could be the 1300km between Komatipoort and the Zambezi in Zambia.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodmead, Sandton
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Thanks guys, got hold of Craig at Nkomazi Safaris who will assist

    Mario, Koromanabanana ?!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Yes I know, that's why I asked. The two regions have similar climate characteristics, so I cant really see why they should be that different, but having only fished in the Mpumalanga area once for tigers many years ago, I don't have much personal experience to go by.
    Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Could be the 1300km between Komatipoort and the Zambezi in Zambia.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Water temp drops. Tigers like warm water. They still need to eat but they less active. The warmer months are definitely better but the flooding causes havoc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •