Thread: How often do you use your sinker in dams these days and why?

Default How often do you use your sinker in dams these days and why?

My least used line is my fast sinker.I mainly use an intermediate line as for me it covers most of my requirements.
    Id be interested to know what percentage of your fishing in dams is done with a sinker and under what specific conditions.
    I have used my sinker in the dog days of summer in warm water conditions,but other than that farely rarely.

Id be intereted to hear others thoughts...

What is the DI of your fast sinker? I use my DI 7 when the wind is strong, and the drift is fast, and a fast retrieve is needed. Fast sinking lines are quite specific, and not needed quite as often, but when you do need it, nothing else is going to take its place.
    Quote Originally Posted by saflyfish View Post
    My least used line is my fast sinker.I mainly use an intermediate line as for me it covers most of my requirements.
    Id be interested to know what percentage of your fishing in dams is done with a sinker and under what specific conditions.
    I have used my sinker in the dog days of summer in warm water conditions,but other than that farely rarely.

Id be intereted to hear others thoughts...
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Strong winds, and you need a sinking line.
    The thin DI5 and DI7 cuts thru the wind.
    Fishing big fast flowing rivers with streamers.
    I have fished big rivers in Scandinavia and Europe, where you cannot wade deeper than 3 or 4 meters from the side, as it is to deep and too strong flowing.
    You want your flies deep and very quickly.
    Only a DI7 will do it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I use a DI7 when fishing a team of 3 boobies for trout.
    Use a DI5 in Notthingman road a lot for moving minnow pattern fast
    All other sinking patterns is fished with a intermediate fly line
    Fish For The Future
    Please Catch And Release

I agree one hundred percent, although the question is specifically around dams, or stillwaters. Basically if you are fishing from the bank, a fast sinker is almost not needed at all, as its just a convenience factor. If you are standing on the bank, you can use pretty much anything really, just wait a little longer for it to sink, but when you are drifting, and you are drifting towards the direction of the cast, you need to get the line down to the desired depth with as little delay as possible in order to maximise the time spent in the zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Strong winds, and you need a sinking line.
    The thin DI5 and DI7 cuts thru the wind.
    Fishing big fast flowing rivers with streamers.
    I have fished big rivers in Scandinavia and Europe, where you cannot wade deeper than 3 or 4 meters from the side, as it is to deep and too strong flowing.
    You want your flies deep and very quickly.
    Only a DI7 will do it.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

It depends very much on what I know about the dam's depth and structure, and what time of day I'm fishing it.

If I have bank access to the old river bed or the dam wall then I'm always eager to get into that with a Di7 (or similar) and a big Mrs Simpson when sun gets high and the surface action isn't happening
    The highest form of existence is play.

I agree with the boobies and fast sinker, even from the bank, it allows the line to draw the team of unweighted fies in a vertical arrangement, with a static drift. I personally don't like fishing boobies because they have a nasty tendency to hook deep in the throat, but yes I agree a sinker is good with boobies.
    Quote Originally Posted by pieterbez View Post
    I use a DI7 when fishing a team of 3 boobies for trout.
    Use a DI5 in Notthingman road a lot for moving minnow pattern fast
    All other sinking patterns is fished with a intermediate fly line