Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Handling fish (tailing)

No of course not, but very few people are going to mishandle a fish intentionally. Its mostly done out of ignorance. Check how the bass guys handle their fish. Mostly lip gripping and holding the bass up by the lower lip , bent back to a horrific angle. That cant be good for the bass, yet they all do it, and it seems to be the accepted way to handle a bass. Is that necessary?
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Yes, but is it necessary to do so?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No of course not, but very few people are going to mishandle a fish intentionally. Its mostly done out of ignorance. Check how the bass guys handle their fish. Mostly lip gripping and holding the bass up by the lower lip , bent back to a horrific angle. That cant be good for the bass, yet they all do it, and it seems to be the accepted way to handle a bass. Is that necessary?
    No, which is kinda the point of the thread. Just because it can, does not mean it should.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I know bass guys that frown on that - apparently if your not careful you can beak a bass's mouth and injure it quite seriously. Though I dont have any love for bass - wouldnt mind if they were all eradicated.

4. Default

Skip to the last bit - around 22min he speaks about something that could not have been said better by anyone on this planet!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234