Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Techniques on how to get the fly to sink more naturally...

This is quite interesting and would like to hear the results once you start testing.

Most of what has been said on the motion of normal baitfish is true, but the sliding beads does give you a more erratic motion. Once you cast it I would also guess the beads will shift to the nose and make it nose dive, but once on the bottom the changing weight of the beads while you strip should give you more variability on nearly every strip which also could add to a more erratic motion to get the fish to chomp down on it.

I would really like to hear especially on the bass if this is successful, since I have only recently started to target bass on the fly... and so far bottom/weighted flies have yet to land me my first keeper. Have caught a bunch of small bass, but would like to land a big one at some stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    That is what was bothering me...a head up and down bucking bronco like action...I am not saying it is not effective, but why not try something different. With a horizontal sink pattern combined with a side to side type twitch...I think that will look damn good. I say again...when bassing, the horizontal hover type of sink turned the bite on big time!
    Shamwari, Ok ignore the bad tying but as a concept. 2 tungsten beads front and back glued in. Not sure how else to keep them in place.
    Smaller brass bead in the middle that can move back and forth.

So the two tungsten beads, if placed correctly could make it sink horizontally and the middle bead moves. Not sure if it would slide forward after the strip and the next strip pushes it back to make it rattle.

Will try it in the bath and see how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting thread - in Basspro world the wobbling fall presentations (wacky, senko, belly-weighted fluke etc) are often a great way to catch fish. A fly that does the same would get bites no doubt - the issue for me though is would those bites be detectable? If you can't feel or see it and set the hook the extra bites are pointless nes pas? Unless you are using a floating line but that would limit the application to shallow water. In my bass-on-hardware experience the killing zone for WFP is maybe 4-10' and the bites are often not easy to detect even using straight fluorocarbon - through a flyline much harder.

I'd be interested to know how and where would you present this fly design? Not buzz-killing just interested in ideas to solve the bite detection problem which is the main 'bass on fly rod' challenge once you start fishing flies slower and deeper...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grant111 View Post
    Shamwari, Ok ignore the bad tying but as a concept. 2 tungsten beads front and back glued in. Not sure how else to keep them in place.
    Smaller brass bead in the middle that can move back and forth.

So the two tungsten beads, if placed correctly could make it sink horizontally and the middle bead moves. Not sure if it would slide forward after the strip and the next strip pushes it back to make it rattle.

Will try it in the bath and see how it goes.
    Looks good that!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123