Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wf or Dt

Lightbulb Wf or Dt

Fishing mostly rivers from the size of the Vaalriver and smaller, I was wondering why double tapered lines are not used that frequently.
    Can someone maybe tell me why?
    Last edited by Navi; 04-07-15 at 06:32 PM.

Default Wf or Dt

WF generally load and cast better. DT mend better and you get 2 for the price of 1. I see fewer DT lines available these days which also probably has something to do with it.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Thanx, I was thinking that maybe Dt lines would do smoother loops?

Sent from my LG-D370 using Tapatalk
    Greys

Quote Originally Posted by Navi View Post
    Thanx, I was thinking that maybe Dt lines would do smoother loops?

Not sure what you mean by smoother but your loops shouldn't differ between WF and DT lines
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

I was asking cause a wf tapers down after a certain length, so doesnt that affect casting, when dt stays the same thickness??

Greys

I was asking cause a wf tapers down after a certain length, so doesnt that affect casting, when dt stays the same thickness??

The first 30ft of both lines are "similar" and after that you are typically shooting line anyway. I understand your point but in reality I haven't found a difference.

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Ok, thank you for the reply. Just another thing, Ive bought a hardy marksman wf5f, but Im considering buying a Rio gold line, but its gonna cost me R900, so will it be worth it forking out that much cash.

Greys

What is wrong with the Hardy line that you want to buy the Rio?

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Neither , in classic sense , but there is explanation :

DT for delicate dry fly presentation without shoot-out, mending, generally for better rod loading.
    WF for longer distance and generally for shoot out .

But , there are very long head WF's which behave in the first 15-20 meters almost like a DT , usually with bullet head taper , which is bonus when comparing to DT.

These long head WF's are the lines of my choice .

The best example : Scientific Anglers Master Expert Distance (former XXD ) , designed by Bruce Richards him self.
    They are best of both worlds....
    Ideal for Single Hand Spey casting as well.

I'll not buy WF with shorter head than 14 meters , rather use DT.

Cheers,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 05-07-15 at 08:29 PM.

The only real difference between DT and WF lines, is that the DT line has a longer belly section. The first section is basically the same, so unless you are making casts of more than half a fly line, you wont notice any difference.
    WF lines are good for longer casts and with rods 4wt and up, whereas DT lines are better for stream work where the casts are shorter, and the rods are lighter. For example up to 3 wt.
    Fishing mostly rivers from the size of the Vaalriver and smaller, I was wondering why double tapered lines are not used that frequently.
    Can someone maybe tell me why?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast