Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wf or Dt

Changing to a 10ft or even 11ft rod will give you substantially better drifts. Couple that with a 20ft leader and you should be able to reach a lot of the spots that were previously inaccessible and get a decent drift. Line dressing is best applied before you wet your line - a little goes a long way. Before spending more money on lines or dressings, try and fish with a friends 10ft rod and longer leader - I think it will "solve" a lot of your current issues.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

6ft leader ?
    Am I reading it very well ?

I am using 16ft sometimes more feet leader for my nymphing technique , called straight line/collapsed leader cast .
    Our guys competing in Bosnia this year on WCC in FF will know what I am talking about .

With 6 ft leader you are wasting you time Navi....

Whatever technique is on, leader should be at least 1,5 x length of the rod.
    For nymphing , it can be longer, depending of water flow, deep .
    On the currents and rapids there is no rule any more , depending on water pull, leader can be crazy 12 meters , as I use on some fast current Bosnian waters ...

Hm....

That's why you mend it... so it doesn't drown. By the time the line is drowned, mending is too late. Drowned line cannot drift nicely. mending works the drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navi View Post
    I hear you, ta, but mending drowned line is somewhat tedious.
    Can I maybe use a longer leader with a strike indicator on it, which is not to close to the flyline, in other words the indicator only carries the weight of the fly?, and not the weight of the sunken line.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Im not surprised that youre having problems. Your outfit is a tad unsuited for the style of fishing that you are trying to do.
    8 ft greys gr30, leader is the length of estimated depth of water, plus 2ft for angle of drift, so thats about 6ft. But if I think about that now, taking the rate of flow, that might be to short?I also made parachute casts upstream to desired spot, and the slack had the time of its life diving beneath the surfice.
    How often do you apply dressing? Why I ask is because of cost, have never used dressing before. And how much more float do you really achieve?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Have to agree. I am a big fan of Greys Rods, but a 4wt 8ft rod is not really suitable for the Vaal fishing in the rapids. I will rather fish a dirt cheap 9 or 10ft in the Vaal than a very expensive 8ft rod. Personal choice.

So this summer I'll master rapids with longer leaders, a dash of dressing, and a longer rod. To me it sounds like madness, but Im looking forward to try it.
    Yes, love Greys, broke my grx on these mentioned rapids, got out of the water, stuck the rod pieces into the sand, and left flyfishing for 5 years. Sold all of my stuff to E.T for a pittance and moped. But one can't stay away once you've had it.

So this summer I'll master rapids with longer leaders, a dash of dressing, and a longer rod. To me it sounds like madness, but Im looking forward to try it.
    Don't forget shorter casts and a high stick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123