Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget trout river outfit.

Default Budget trout river outfit.

I have gone through the older forum articles before posting this, and before I get hammered
    Decided that coming September/October I would take the leap and go fish for trout in a river (or stream, if you are like me and used to the Vaal). Currently looking at the KZN waters in and around the Nottingham Road area. Problem is, I see a clear trend from the Eastern Cape and W/Cape okes to fish more a 3wt type rod. And I have also seen a trend from guys fishing Lesotho and KZN to back more a 4wt setup. I do know it would have to be a 8'6ft rod.
    As it would most likely be a once a year trip, I'm looking for a "budget" setup. I also picked up a medium-fast action rod is the preferred action.
    So far I have narrowed it down to the Stealth Magnum, Xplorer Guide2, Redington Trout, Greys GR30 and the St.Croix Imperial, all being about R1500-R2200.
    Reels, I though I would stay on the traditional route of a click and pawl system and a machined reel like the: Redington Drift, Stealth mid arbor click and pawl or Xplorer Mirage reel.
    Any suggestions or feedback would be welcome, and I'm hoping I'm moving in the right direction here with the setups.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

The reason why you find that people from different areas prefer different outfits, is because tactics may vary according to the different regions, and therefore there are different setups that are better suited. For example, in KZN, the rivers are flat flood plain rivers, a with bedrock and gravel. The WC rivers are freestone mountain streams. There is also a distinct difference in the PH of the water due to the geology that it runs through. All this has a dramatic effect on the food source, and because of this, the way that the trout behave and feed, is different, to it makes sense that the fly fisherman has to employ various tactics to catch the trout, and this might involve equipment that is better suited to different applications.
    Why would it have to be an 8'6 rod?
    Last edited by Andre; 09-07-15 at 09:31 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The reason why you find that people from different areas prefer different outfits, is because tactics may vary according to the different regions, and therefore there are different setups that are better suited. For example, in KZN, the rivers are flat flood plain rivers, a with bedrock and gravel. The WC rivers are freestone mountain streams. There is also a distinct difference in the PH of the water due to the geology that it runs through. All this has a dramatic effect on the food source, and because of this, the way that the trout behave and feed, is different, to it makes sense that the fly fisherman has to employ various tactics to catch the trout, and this might involve equipment that is better suited to different applications.
    Why would it have to be an 8'6 rod?
    Hi Andre.
    Thanks, it does put it into perspective. As all my fishing would take place most likely in the KZN, Eastern Free State and Lesotho, the norm then seems to be a 4wt. Just read a lot on the forum here and overseas ones, and seems a 8'6ft is mostly prefered.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Hi Andre.
    Thanks, it does put it into perspective. As all my fishing would take place most likely in the KZN, Eastern Free State and Lesotho, the norm then seems to be a 4wt. Just read a lot on the forum here and overseas ones, and seems a 8'6ft is mostly prefered.
    An 8'6 medium to fast action 4wt rod is probably going to be ok for KZN and Lesotho, although you will be better served by a longer rod with more sensitivity, due to the amount of nymphing undercut banks that you will be doing. Personally I would go for a longer rod, but your choice will work.
    Im not sure how the overseas forums would know what is best for KZN and Lesotho rivers.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-07-15 at 09:56 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    An 8'6 medium to fast action 4wt rod is probably going to be ok for KZN and Lesotho, although you will be better served by a longer rod with more sensitivity, due to the amount of nymphing undercut banks that you will be doing. Personally I would go for a longer rod, but your choice will work.
    Im not sure how the overseas forums would know what is best for KZN and Lesotho rivers.
    So anything from 8'6-9ft would work, your view about sensitivity does make sense. Will look at a 9ft if the rods I mentioned does have it in 4wt class. Sorry I should have said I looked at places like Colorado, Utah etc, where the rivers looked almost same as KZN's Bushman's.
    Dirk Human

On average, our rivers are small compared to the streams in the USA. I cannot see float boats taking a trip down out Trout streams. I fish the the New England (Barkly East not USA) rivers mostly but grew up on the Western Cape streams and fish an 8 foot 9 inch medium action when little wind and a 8 or 9 foot medium fast action for a 4# line when the wind is up depending on the size of the water. I will also not hesitate to fish a 9 foot no 5# on a river like the Kraai as it is big water and there are some bigger fish in it. I used a 7 foot 9 inch no3# on the Cape Streams after trying all the lighter weight rods but now I would use the 8 foot 9 inch no3#. And I will be taking the longer rods to Wyoming later in the year due to size of rivers and the often present wind. So if I were you, the 8 1/2 foot medium fast no 3# with a GPX line which will handle some wind being an overweight 3 line. If you are going on only one trip, then save the cash and borrow a friend's outfit. He would have to be a good friend as lending fishing tackle does not come easy.

Thanks white death, think I go the 4wt medium action route, take the "mid"way approach in a 8'6ft.
    Dirk Human

Yes, but remember it has nothing to do with how the river looks. There are many factors that influence the type of insects and how they behave, and this is what influences the trout's feeding. Alkaline rivers have more specific hatches where its important to match the hatch, and more acidic and tanoid rivers, have smaller hatches, which are less specific, where you can have dozens of insects hatching at the same time, and matching the hatch is less critical. The type of rod that you choose will enable the type of fishing that you would choose to best take advantage of those conditions. For example, the Holsloot and the Elandspad in the WC, are a few KM apart, but fish completely different due to the water PH . Also the structure of the water. Slow meandering rivers like the KZN midlands have undercut mud banks that hold fish, so deep nymphing at medium distance is a good tactic. WC pocket waters are fished much closer due to drag management. Parts of the Kraai have wide laminar flows, so a longer rod and heavier flies are a good tactic. Its best to decide a good rod for all purposes and to go that route. a rod under 9 foot is going to limit your options when it comes to nymphing and high sticking, but a 10 foot rod might limit your dry fly options. Basically all depends how you are going to fish the river. I personally think a 4 wt is going to give you presentation problems, but you should be able to manage it.
    So anything from 8'6-9ft would work, your view about sensitivity does make sense. Will look at a 9ft if the rods I mentioned does have it in 4wt class. Sorry I should have said I looked at places like Colorado, Utah etc, where the rivers looked almost same as KZN's Bushman's.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-07-15 at 02:30 PM.

Many thanks Andre.
    I will go and look through my options and decide. Luckily I have till end August to decide, many thanks again for your views and feedback - appreciate it.
    Dirk Human

No worries, but perhaps think about a Cape trip around that time, and I can show you first hand some tactics.
    Many thanks Andre.
    I will go and look through my options and decide. Luckily I have till end August to decide, many thanks again for your views and feedback - appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast