Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget trout river outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    I have gone through the older forum articles before posting this, and before I get hammered
    Decided that coming September/October I would take the leap and go fish for trout in a river (or stream, if you are like me and used to the Vaal). Currently looking at the KZN waters in and around the Nottingham Road area. Problem is, I see a clear trend from the Eastern Cape and W/Cape okes to fish more a 3wt type rod. And I have also seen a trend from guys fishing Lesotho and KZN to back more a 4wt setup. I do know it would have to be a 8'6ft rod.
    As it would most likely be a once a year trip, I'm looking for a "budget" setup. I also picked up a medium-fast action rod is the preferred action.
    So far I have narrowed it down to the Stealth Magnum, Xplorer Guide2, Redington Trout, Greys GR30 and the St.Croix Imperial, all being about R1500-R2200.
    Reels, I though I would stay on the traditional route of a click and pawl system and a machined reel like the: Redington Drift, Stealth mid arbor click and pawl or Xplorer Mirage reel.
    Any suggestions or feedback would be welcome, and I'm hoping I'm moving in the right direction here with the setups.
    Hi Dirk,

While buying new gear is always fun, you can also just fish the streams with an existing 5wt or 6wt rod that you use for yellows. If your presentation is good, then you won't have a problem. I remember a couple of years back an old guy in his 70's fished the Cape Streams with a 6 or 7wt during the river festival and apparently did really well. I think MC or Chris guided him. I fished my Sage 99 9'9" 5wt for several months on the Cape streams and had no issues catching fish or fishing 6X and 7X. A lighter rod is more pleasurable to fish but not a necessity, especially if you are not fishing small streams that often. If you do buy then a 8'6-9' rod is perfect as an all-rounder. If you already fish 5wts then rather buy a 3wt as the difference between a 5wt and 4wt is small.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Why not look at the Explorer Guide 2 xtenda 3 WT. You get a 9 and 10 foot rod for the price on one.

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Hi Dirk,

While buying new gear is always fun, you can also just fish the streams with an existing 5wt or 6wt rod that you use for yellows. If your presentation is good, then you won't have a problem. I remember a couple of years back an old guy in his 70's fished the Cape Streams with a 6 or 7wt during the river festival and apparently did really well. I think MC or Chris guided him. I fished my Sage 99 9'9" 5wt for several months on the Cape streams and had no issues catching fish or fishing 6X and 7X. A lighter rod is more pleasurable to fish but not a necessity, especially if you are not fishing small streams that often. If you do buy then a 8'6-9' rod is perfect as an all-rounder. If you already fish 5wts then rather buy a 3wt as the difference between a 5wt and 4wt is small.
    Thats pretty much what i told him too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12