Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a rod

Default Looking to buy a rod

Hey Guys,

Looking for a 5/6wt rod to start my fly fishing adventures, anybody know of anyone interested in selling?

Also in the market for reel and line.

Cape Town

Whats your budget?

Also, look at gumtree and olx as you will find complete packages (and sometimes better quality equipment) on there for pretty decent prices...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Whats your budget?

Also, look at gumtree and olx as you will find complete packages (and sometimes better quality equipment) on there for pretty decent prices...
    Probably the best advice.
    Once you have honed your skills a bit and know more about soft, fast, stiff, glass etc, and tried them all out, with a bit more skills, you can upgrade to a rod that you will enjoy.
    I hated my first rod, just did not enjoy the rod that was sold to me by a shop. after 3 years, got another rod, wow, I started enjoying my fishing so much more
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Bryan,

Been having a look around so I would say my budget is about R1500.

Thanks Korrie, will keep that in mind! For the mean time I am using my friend 10wt stealth rod.

Where are you fishing?
    If you are using a friends 10 wt, I assume you are doing some salt water stuff, so if you are looking for a 5/6wt, I assume you are looking for a Stillwater or stockie dam outfit.
    Is this correct?
    When I first moved to Cape Town about 25 years ago, I fished the rivers with a 9wt outfit, which was a combo setup with a non tapered line. I caught fish, but only realised it wasn't ideal until I tried other rods. Basically, you can fish with anything, but as Korrie says, sooner or later, you are going to want something suited to you.
    Last edited by Andre; 14-07-15 at 09:01 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

R1500 just for rod or including reel and line?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

That is correct Andre

Bryan, my budget will include a line and reel hopefully, if that is possible.
    Last edited by DominoSA; 14-07-15 at 09:09 AM.

I think you might be able to get a Stealth or Explorer combo setup from Sportsmans Warehouse for that. These generally include reel and line.
    Quote Originally Posted by DominoSA View Post
    Bryan, my budget will include a line and reel hopefully, if that is possible.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast