Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage 1 or 2wt difference?

Default Sage 1 or 2wt difference?

Hi
    Im looking to buy either the sage txl-f in a 1 or 2wt.Does anyone have experience with both of these rods?I see the physical weight difference is a few grams.
    I can only assume the 2wt is faster/stiffer.I throw dries,dries and droppers and nymphs and indicators.
    I fish small streams in the Barkly district.
    Any advice on which one to buy?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Hi
    Im looking to buy either the sage txl-f in a 1 or 2wt.Does anyone have experience with both of these rods?I see the physical weight difference is a few grams.
    I can only assume the 2wt is faster/stiffer.I throw dries,dries and droppers and nymphs and indicators.
    I didnt realise they made a 1wt. Personally, I have fished slower Sage rods and that area a lot, and my suggestion is to go with the 2wt. It helps with wind and nymphs. I have a 0wt TXL and its sometime a bit soft, while the 2wt offers a bit more performance, but feels very similar in overall weight and action.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

I used to have both in the older TXL, both are quite fast rods, the 2wt is not stiffer, they are equally as stiff in their weight class.
    I also had a 000wt, txl, also a fast rod, and very good in a light wind.. the ultra light Sages are light rods, not weak rods. It is best that you get some experience with ultra light rods before buying one, as its not everyones cup of tea. Personally, I loved the 000wt, but its useless at anything other than fairly close range single dry. Not a great nymphing stick at all.
    Hi
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Everything you can do with the #1 you can do with the #2.
    But you cannot do everything with the #1 that you can do with the #2
    i.e. windy, slightly heavier nymphs etc.
    Go for the #2, the weight in gramms, has nothing to do with the fishing pleasure
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I didnt realise they made a 1wt.
    TXL-F is from #000 to #4 Jade.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

6. Default

I throw dries,dries and droppers and nymphs and indicators.
    I'd actually get the #4 rather than the #1 or the #2. Hoppers and nymphs (depending on their size) can be harder to turn over properly with a #1 and #2, and given the rod is only 7'10, the extra oomph the #4 has will help a lot. Before I broke mine (TXL-F #4) it was my go-to rod for all those streams. I have the new blank but have not gotten around to rebuilding her yet - glass took her place
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    TXL-F is from #000 to #4 Jade.
    Ah thanks Mario - I didnt know that.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

The 4wt, is a real cannon. With my 2wt TXL, it was able to happily turn over two reasonably sized nymphs and hoppers, certainly anything needed for Cape stream work, without any problems, however I began to prefer a different style of fishing, which the TXL range wasn't really suited for.
    As for the 000wt, Two moderately weighted Czech nymphs also not too much of a problem. bringing in a yellowfish of any size, certainly wasn't easy though
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    The 4wt, is a real cannon.
    Depends in which hands it is I suppose.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Depends in which hands it is I suppose.
    Yes, I think I agree. Although the TXL range had a small issue with the very short cast, particularly the 2wt, I think the fast action of the rod wasn't very conducive to a very short cast. Its excellent at a middle to longer distance, but for presenting a fly within three rod lengths away, it lacks a little finesse. I felt that the fast action of the rod, caused the rod tip to move too quickly through the arc, and causing the leader to collapse, compromising accuracy and presentation. I think a stream outfit in the light to ultra light class should ideally be a medium to slower action, particularly in the shorter length rods. The 8 foot ZXL seemed to me to be a much better rod for the application than the TXL. I never fished with a TXL-F, so cant really comment of that. I think it again goes to show that when one gets into specifics around a stream outfit, some of the perceived very minor drawbacks of the rod, become huge issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast