Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barometers

Default Barometers

Anyone have one that they carry on them when fishing ? I'm looking for a small, portable barometer that I can carry on me. I want to start seeing how barometric pressure affects my catch rates. Anyone know where I can get one or can recommend something decent for thus purpose ?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Anyone have one that they carry on them when fishing ? I'm looking for a small, portable barometer that I can carry on me. I want to start seeing how barometric pressure affects my catch rates. Anyone know where I can get one or can recommend something decent for thus purpose ?
    I have a wristwatch that has barometer, altimeter, compass, thermomenter, the works. It is a Suunto. You will find them at Cape Union Mart or Cape Storm. It chews batteries though and as a result has been in a drawer at home for the past two years. Paid about R6000 for it
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 30-10-06 at 09:24 AM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

A friend of mine has a wristwatch one that shows a graph of the change in barometric pressure, so you can see if it's rising, falling, or stable. I'm not sure if it shows the actual pressure values though, but I think it's the change in pressure that you wanna measure anyway, ie how are the fish affected with a rising or falling barometric pressure?
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    A friend of mine has a wristwatch one that shows a graph of the change in barometric pressure, so you can see if it's rising, falling, or stable. I'm not sure if it shows the actual pressure values though, but I think it's the change in pressure that you wanna measure anyway, ie how are the fish affected with a rising or falling barometric pressure?
    The Suunto gives the actual atmospheric pressure readout and the effects of change in pressure are reflected immediately. It is a precision instrument, but like I said, very hungry on power. Battery life is about a month.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Eish !

I'm just looking for a simple barometer, not a R6k watch thingy. For that price it better do a hell of a lot more than tell the time and read barometric pressure !

Seriously, just a small barometer. I hate wearing a watch when I fish, its normally the first thing I leave behind. I'm looking for something I can just stick in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Eish !

I'm just looking for a simple barometer, not a R6k watch thingy. For that price it better do a hell of a lot more than tell the time and read barometric pressure !

Seriously, just a small barometer. I hate wearing a watch when I fish, its normally the first thing I leave behind. I'm looking for something I can just stick in my pocket.
    I know what you mean Shaun, I searched long and hard for just such a thing, and just short of dangling one of the larger ones around my neck I was infatuated when i discovered the wristwatch version. It wasn't one of my better buys, I must admit.

I have also been looking for one for some time. I just look at the weather to see if a cold front is comming. Then I still go fishing and catch nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by izak View Post
    I have also been looking for one for some time. I just look at the weather to see if a cold front is comming. Then I still go fishing and catch nothing.
    hehe, the secret is to not know what the barometer is saying, because then you could have a legitimate excuse when you get home. 'Must be the weather!'

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    The Suunto gives the actual atmospheric pressure readout and the effects of change in pressure are reflected immediately. It is a precision instrument, but like I said, very hungry on power. Battery life is about a month.
    Chris,

I have had a Suunto Xlander for about 4 - 5 years. I bought mine for R1200 when Manex Marine first started importing them. It has a barometer, digital compass, thermometer and altimeter. I use mine extensively and change the battery about once every 18 months or so. I suspect that yours has a problem to be using a battery in a month. Take it back to Manex and see what they say.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Chris,

I have had a Suunto Xlander for about 4 - 5 years. I bought mine for R1200 when Manex Marine first started importing them. It has a barometer, digital compass, thermometer and altimeter. I use mine extensively and change the battery about once every 18 months or so. I suspect that yours has a problem to be using a battery in a month. Take it back to Manex and see what they say.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks Darryl, I'll do that. I thought it was a bit ridiculious to be so heavy on power. Mine is the one with the pc interface cable, which allows you to download data onto your pc. I think it is the X9 or T9 or something like that. It has been in my drawer for so long, I have forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast