Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Rod Builders Cape Town

Default Bamboo Rod Builders Cape Town

Hi Guys

Im keen on getting into building bamboo rods as a hobby. It is very costly so still investigating all the options.

Is there any hobbyists in the Cape Town area willing to show me the ropes and perhaps have second hand equipment to sell?

Thanks in advance

2. Default

Stephen Boshoff
    Stephen Dugmore
    Craig Thom
    and I think Dirk de Villiers (although not 100% sure)
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks I will try make contact with these guys

appreciate it.

Blog Entries

This is something I have been wanting to try my thick hands at for awhile.

The thing I have found out is that practise makes perfect and that the tools to do this would cost a lot. Things like a binder for glueing, the right planes, the right tapering jig etc.

If I had access to a workshop with all these tools and someone would show me how, I would love to do this very much.

Please share if you have any success.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Nick Hughes is another world class maker - not sure if he is still in Somerset West?
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    and that the tools to do this would cost a lot.
    All the tools can be made by yourself. There are literally tons of plans to make forms, binders, ovens etc. It is a serious investment though, even if making them yourself.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    All the tools can be made by yourself. There are literally tons of plans to make forms, binders, ovens etc. It is a serious investment though, even if making them yourself.
    Yeah you are 100%. can make them all but at a cost. I would love to make them all, but I dont have the time, or place and dont want to put up the initial capital to make one or two rods. I have been keeping a look out for some second hand equipment but that is pretty scarce.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Nick Hughes is another world class maker - not sure if he is still in Somerset West?
    I thought Nic was in Switzerland or working with Kerry B in Scandinavia?

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    There are literally tons of plans to make forms...
    If you know of some resources/vids please share, I have scoured the internet for days and can only find Two. http://www.thomaspenrose.com/form01.htm & http://www.bamboorodmaking.com/html/...ing_forms.html

but not having laid eyes or hands on an actual planing form makes these instructions difficult to follow.

Yes cost is a serious factor hence the need to make my own planing forms.

While it is fun and enjoyable to build things, especially bamboo rods, the outlay on equipment is high, and the market for bamboo rods is quite limited. Certainly initially you aren't going to sell many rods to cover your start up costs, and people aren't going to buy a bamboo rod from an unproven rod builder, so be prepared to shell out a bit of loot, for no return. Sure, hobbies cost money, and what is the price of enjoyment? but it would be nice to sell some rods at some stage.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast