Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrift in winter

Default Thrift in winter

I will be heading to Thrift in the next couple of weeks. What can I expect in winter apart from weather which would put Siberia to shame? What types of patterns do people usually fish there? I suspect if I fish it like Lakenvlei in Ceres I will blank but that's about as much as I know. Thanks in advance . I will post pictures.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

or you could do very well.
    Will PM you a number of one of the locals.
    give him a call
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Winter is beyond cold,but its the wind that makes it almost unbearable,especially if there is snow on the mountains.
    The fishing in the last few weeks has been pretty good from the repports i have heard,no monsters but decent fish and quite a few.
    Patters,well most patterns work there.From good ol black wolly,dragons etc.even swinging some nymphs will work.
    The trees on the opposite bank to the cottages has been very quiet and i have not heard of any fish coming out there lately.The area around the outlet and the low water bridge seem to be good now

How would you "swing nymphs" on a Stillwater?
    Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Winter is beyond cold,but its the wind that makes it almost unbearable,especially if there is snow on the mountains.
    The fishing in the last few weeks has been pretty good from the repports i have heard,no monsters but decent fish and quite a few.
    Patters,well most patterns work there.From good ol black wolly,dragons etc.even swinging some nymphs will work.
    The trees on the opposite bank to the cottages has been very quiet and i have not heard of any fish coming out there lately.The area around the outlet and the low water bridge seem to be good now
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Basically like static midging only you use the wind to create a bow in your line and slowly swing your nymphs. I assume thats what it is anyway. Thanks for all the info guys
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    How would you "swing nymphs" on a Stillwater?
    I suppose a lot like french nymphing but using wind and not current
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

LOl..you guys are sharp..But yes,guess the wrong term but on a float tube with the wind that pumps there you are almost swinging them.

Blog Entries

Andre,
    At the inlet when the water is flowing. Have been very successful drifting some nymphs when there is some water flow at the inlet. Obviously not as in a river.

Blog Entries

Jade,
    You like fishing the area, give the man some pointers!

I was there last year during winter. Quite cold, fortunately not so windy. Wind at Thrift is your friend, fish the rocks and the wall during strong wind and cast from your tube to the wall and retrieve zonkers, black and black and purple. Just be very careful when the wind blows hard and being anchored, as the swells can become quite problematic close to the wall.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fly-o-holic View Post
    Jade,
    You like fishing the area, give the man some pointers!

I was there last year during winter. Quite cold, fortunately not so windy. Wind at Thrift is your friend, fish the rocks and the wall during strong wind and cast from your tube to the wall and retrieve zonkers, black and black and purple. Just be very careful when the wind blows hard and being anchored, as the swells can become quite problematic close to the wall.
    And give all my secrets away!?! Ha ha

There are no secrets. To be honest - I wouldnt fish Thrift unless I lived in the area. I would fish the farms around Dodge and Jamestown.

If I was in the Amatolas I would fish Loch Lochy, and the Redcliffe as well as the Banksberg Syndicates waters (especially their Craddock waters).

What I can tell you is the fish in the EC eat snails, buzzers, and tadpoles - if there is lots of rock and limited aquatic plant life, I fish crabs and minnow patterns.

In winter, the Cata stream is an amazing experience to fish - It is not like anything I have fished in ZA. Well worth it. As far as I know, those are the oldest remaining browns in the country according to my research and Heys books.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast