Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry flies for Stillwaters

1. Default Dry flies for Stillwaters

Any recommendations for dry flies for stillwater trout? DDD is already on the list Thanks
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Any recommendations for dry flies for stillwater trout? DDD is already on the list Thanks
    Hey Mario,

I am a big fan of fishing hoppers and beetles too - I think its because its an opportunistic food source for trout, and its great for when the wind is blowing. I cast out into the wind and let them drift back to the shore. When there is a hatch on I try match it (obviously) or I fish shuttlecock buzzers. If I am sight fishing to cruising, picky fish, I use size 18 - 20 Duns. I had great success on those fishing in pressured stillwaters in Dullstroom. Knowing the stillwaters you fish, I would also seriously consider fishing floating snails just sub surface - Go look at the far shore of Bernards dam - Its a snail graveyard.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Hey Mario,

I am a big fan of fishing hoppers and beetles too - I think its because its an opportunistic food source for trout, and its great for when the wind is blowing. I cast out into the wind and let them drift back to the shore. When there is a hatch on I try match it (obviously) or I fish shuttlecock buzzers. If I am sight fishing to cruising, picky fish, I use size 18 - 20 Duns. I had great success on those fishing in pressured stillwaters in Dullstroom. Knowing the stillwaters you fish, I would also seriously consider fishing floating snails just sub surface - Go look at the far shore of Bernards dam - Its a snail graveyard.
    Cool, makes sense! Thanks Jade. Have not tied snails in over 15 years!!!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Blog Entries

Cool, makes sense! Thanks Jade. Have not tied snails in over 15 years!!!!
    I have never tied them! To be honest, I have never fished them. I had caught fish that vomit them up they are so stuff, but I just cant bring myself to tie one on! Ha ha

Last trip to Sterkies I was in a bay with the fish going nuts and they would not take anything presented to them. Drifted the boat into the heart of where they were rising and there were tons of little snails floating on the surface. Didnt have anything resembling a snail.

Who has a good snail pattern?
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Awesome snail pattern is a simple dubbing of seals fur in black on a small hook.

I use #16 -18 TMC hooks.

Long greased leader and you're off and racing.

Another very effective fly for stillwater dries is the blowfly.
    We fish these a lot in NZ and I can't see why they wouldn't work in SA.

Fish it as a single dry or use a dropper underneath.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 31-07-15 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Add some shit

20150628_202213.jpg

Big and ugly stuff like this works for me. Especially in the wind over relatively shallow water. When the fish are being dicks in glassy water I find #16 cdc loop wings are hard to beat. I think though that usually fly choice is not as important as sinking your tippet.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

8. Default

Thanks chaps - will see what I have time to rustle up tonight before tomorrow's outing!! Will report back (if we don't freeze up)!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Blog Entries

Thanks chaps - will see what I have time to rustle up tonight before tomorrow's outing!! Will report back (if we don't freeze up)!
    All these years I have know you, it really seems the stillwater bug has bitten. It bit me too - Hopefully this means we will get to fish together twice a year instead of just the regular April / May window. Looking forward to the report - Tight lines!

10. Default

Not totally freezing, but chilly enough!!

Jamestown.JPG
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast