Thread: Salt Sinkers

Default Salt Sinkers

To all saltwater experts,I need some advice. The last time I fished inshore, I used airflo shooting head di7. This was around the hibberdene area, south coast. Sure I caught some fish, but I think that the di7 might be to fast a sinking line for fishing from the beach????

Can anyone with experience maybe give some suggestions as to which sink rate and which lines would suit inshore fishing? And has anyone of you ever considered building your own shooting head from a standard sinking line?
    Greys

Hi Navi.....i can only comment from experience here in the cape...we use intermediate cold water airflo lines for surf and some guys use the ufudo sinking line they creted for kingies up north coast...hope this helps
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Hi Navi.....i can only comment from experience here in the cape...we use intermediate cold water airflo lines for surf and some guys use the ufudo sinking line they creted for kingies up north coast...hope this helps
    Yes, opinions help, thank you. But how far underneath the surface does intermediate sink??
    Greys

I did a fair amount of SW FF on the Zululand coast and have spent enough time on the South Coast to feel confident in suggesting that you look at a monocore style tropical style intermediate - SA Bonefish, Striper or Cortland Tropic are all options. I'm sure the suggested Airflo options are also good lines. These intermediates cast well and are manageable around rocks (which is most places you'll SWFF on the South Coast). The intermediate sinks a few inches a second, leave it long enough and it will hit the bottom eventually if there is no current.

If you have to use just one line this is it. In rougher water the full sink will keep you in the zone longer, cast slightly bigger flies and in deepwater spots it's going to help get the fly down obviously. In retrospect I can't think of any surf situation I faced where the intermediate was a handicap. The same cannot be said of a full sink line.

Thank you all sorts, why I ask is because I stumbled upon 2x 444 cortland lines, brand new in the box, in a pawn shop. The wt is exactly right, and one is a camo intermediate line, and the other some advanced taper whatever, probably small game line. Anyway they are R500 for both. It has a monofilament core. is this ok or not?
    Greys

I've used the Camo Intermediate in FW and it's a brilliant line. It'll work for the surf but it's not ideal on three counts:

1. It's quite slick so might be hard to hold for hooksets - the tropical inters have a rough texture which is brilliant to hold
    2. Also not a very stiff line so your casting will be compromised, especially in big wind and when using bigger flies
    3. It will not handle contact with rocks very well - quite a soft coating

It comes down to your budget - if you can stretch to an Airflo SW intermediate then do that rather - the last regret will be when you pay for it. They are very highly rated in the Cape and seem to outlast PVC lines. I've also bought lines that were a good deal but not quite right for the application - if I had my time over I'd get the right thing the first time.