Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rio Lake intermediate

Default Rio Lake intermediate

Morning to all,

I am in the market for an intermediate line. I have read all the comments and most seems to settle on the Airflow Sixth Sense intermediate. I am however a Rio fan and would like to hear your opinion on the Rio Lake Intermediate. It is the line with the light blue running line and clear tip I think.

Pierre

Pierre
    The new Rio lake in-touch lines are really good, with the added bonus of the non-stretch core that was so popular with the 6th sense lines.
    Regards
    Craig

Still is Craig... :tongue:

I am also interested. How does the price compare with the 6th sense?
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Yes, not a bad line. I love non stretch lines for trout stillwaters and nymphing. I did however find that the 6th sense lines had a little memory, not too much to be a problem, but enough to irritate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Pierre
    The new Rio lake in-touch lines are really good, with the added bonus of the non-stretch core that was so popular with the 6th sense lines.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I am also interested. How does the price compare with the 6th sense?
    I think the 6th sense is cheaper.
    Regards
    Craig

And the Aqualux lines?

I am a Airflo Sixth Sense fan through and through and wont change if they dont change, but if you are a Rio Fan then you should look at the RIO InTouch Hover intermediate - i have a couple friends who rave about this line and i have watched them use it with great effect in the same conditions that i use my Sixth Sense - i would be comfortable using both after their recommendations.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi gents,

I fish for trout and only during winter, only still waters and around Cape Town. Since moving to CT 2 years ago have not been back in the EC, except last year at Thrift and surroundings.
    For the limited fishing I do, it is not a pleasant experience to pay R1000 for a fly line. However, I do not mind if the line when used only 5 times a year lasts for 5 years. However, these become old and brittle and due to me not fishing as regular as you guys, the line is kaput after a few hundred casts. Not cost effective at all.

The other issue is that I do not enjoy fishing monofilament cored lines in cold water, too stiff, and most of the cheaper lines are clear with a mono core.
    Maybe I should seize being a baby and buy an expensive line and see what it does (don't want to though).

So, the ideal will be a 6wt line, with a braided core, and a long taper so that I can use the line on multiple rods and vary the line out the tip to load the respective rods. Any colour will do. Any recommendations?
    The hover line is too slow and I'm looking at an intermediate, 1.5-2 IPS.

Pierre

Are you perhaps going to try the Cape rivers this coming season?
    Re your monofilament line comment. That's exactly the reason why I do like to fish them, is the stiffness. You are directly in touch with the fly, and the slightest touch is magnified by the lack of stretch. That coupled with a good sensitive middle action rod, and you don't miss a thing. I find that while braded core streach lines are great for casting, the non stretch lines are better for detecting light touches, especially some of those tricky lakies days, and ultra shy clanwilliams
    Last edited by Andre; 31-07-15 at 12:51 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast