Thread: Shilton CR3 reels

Default Shilton CR3 reels

Hi guys
    Im keen to get my hands on a CR3 reel for my 5wt rods.Does anyone have this reel,i have heard they are great.
    I have dropped the shilton guys a few mails in the past week but no response.I was looking at ross reels also so emailed fly fishers unlimited but no response in days there also.
    Im not sure why these guys dont check their inboxes,it could potentially be a sale for them.I guess its south african service levels we have to accept.

I absolutely love my Shilton CR3 and everyone I know that has one would never part with theirs. You cant go wrong with this reel. Great design, great drag and will last for years and years...
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Hey Bryan please could you measure the width of the spool for me?
    I dont like anything wider than 2.5 cm(1 in)

Surely if you are keen to get one of these reels, you would know the size of it, and not need someone to measure it, or do you just like the idea of owning a Shilton unseen.
    No problem if you do, they are very nice reels.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Surely if you are keen to get one of these reels, you would know the size of it, and not need someone to measure it, or do you just like the idea of owning a Shilton unseen.
    No problem if you do, they are very nice reels.
    I actually havent been able to see one physically in person but have heard great things about them.I also like the ultra large arbor for many reasons.
    They dont have the spool width dimension on their website.This is important for me.I have had a lamson guru reel for a while and the width is 1.3in which is too wide.
    When reeling in the line tends to build up on either side if not properly wound up.A narrow spool eliminates this.Its something important for me when buying a reel.

I've had my CR3 for for about 4 years now. Will I buy one again? Absolutely.

Fandamtastic reel!! Ive had mine around 4 years!!! I think that reel goes with any rod!!! Im actually looking into getting a second one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keen to get the CR2 for my 4wt rods...but as cormorant says i cant get a response to email sent to them.
    Not sure what id do if the reel needed backup service??

Hi guys. I own a CK3 a month after buying the CK3 the CR3 came out. Needles to say I was a bit disappointed that I did not wait. But even the Ck3 is a lovely reel as is. With regards to the back up service of the reels they are excellent. I had A problem with mine and the Shilton crew sorted it out at no charge he also replaced my old drag with the new CR3 reel drag at no cost, that time. but try to phone them rather its faster. I would recommend any shilton to anyone
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted. -Einstein

You cant go wrong. I have 2 CR3 and a CR2. Love them and in my opinion they are best value for money reels in SA. They bullet proof and drag is awesome. Once you have used one you'll kick yourself for not owning one earlier. Both Reels are 2.5cm wide.