Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: For Darryl and other photographers

Default For Darryl and other photographers

Hi Darryl and any other photography buffs that might be reading this and would like to comment.

I recall you gave me some very valuable crit a while back on a photo I had taken in April. Last weekend I took a bunch more pics, the best of which I have uploaded to the gallery on the main page.

When you get a chance, would you mind taking a look and see if I've improved at all ?

Cheers,

Shaun

Hi Shaun,
    First of all, very good-looking fish dude!
    Ok look I'm no pro big shot photographer, but I had photography as a subject for 3 years and then motion picture in my 4th year studies, all hands on practical & theory. Good-looking pic the only downfall it has is the highlight on your hand - it distracts the viewer from the subject matter or focal point. It would also have been better if your hand framed the hand on the 3rd of the pic, see now it is "falling off" the composition. I'd say if the light were coming from the opposite direction (fish’s head) it would have been stunning.

Open crit.
    No PAIN No Gain

Quote Originally Posted by Nymph+O- View Post
    Hi Shaun,
    First of all, very good-looking fish dude!
    Ok look I'm no pro big shot photographer, but I had photography as a subject for 3 years and then motion picture in my 4th year studies, all hands on practical & theory. Good-looking pic the only downfall it has is the highlight on your hand - it distracts the viewer from the subject matter or focal point. It would also have been better if your hand framed the hand on the 3rd of the pic, see now it is "falling off" the composition. I'd say if the light were coming from the opposite direction (fish’s head) it would have been stunning.

Open crit.

Thanks dude, I gather you're talking about the last pic. Would you mind taking a look at the rest, there's about 10 or so. Or maybe I should post them in this thread.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4
    Last edited by ShaunF; 20-06-07 at 05:26 PM.

Cool boet, so when will we be getting our 2008 calender from you?

Number 5

Number 6

Number 7

Number 8
    Last edited by ShaunF; 20-06-07 at 05:27 PM.

Number 9

Number 10

Number 11
    Last edited by ShaunF; 20-06-07 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FIGJAM View Post
    Cool boet, so when will we be getting our 2008 calender from you?
    Hahahahahaha !!! Fig, I have one copy of your guys calendar hanging on my office wall and one on my study wall at home !
    My pics are not even close to the calibre of the pics in the calendar !

Some real awesome pics there Shaun!
    The 2nd pic is a better composition than the 1st as the fish is falling off the composition. What could have improved the 2nd pic in my opinion is if you shot it at minimum depth of field, aperture on a small setting 2.4 or so (large setting = maximum depth of field) i.e. the fish on the left bottom third (more or less where it is now) and then the angler out of focus. This will generate a very dynamic focal position and force the eye to the fish. It also depends on your intentions with the picture. Always try and focus on one specific aspect (focal point) - less is more. The time of day and light could also improve the richness of colour and tone - this would obviously be early morning and late afternoon.
    As for the rest of the pics they seem pretty fine to me - if I had to add something I would say light colour and focus could have enhanced it even more. They say the true art of photography is the art of being able to quoting out of context to leave the rest to the imagination – this would mean to frame half a face on a pic is much more powerful than a boring straight forward in the middle one.
    No PAIN No Gain

Hi Shaun. Once again, congratulations on some superb fish.....pity about the photos though
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast