Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Potential Grunter Fly

Newby
    I stay at Rheebok which is 5 minutes drive from the river. The spots are very time and tide orientated as are all estuary fisheries. However if there is water on the flats in a failing light, you will find Grunter. I avoid weekends and holidays as the Grunter are very skittish and sensitive to boats and wading anglers. A boat is useful but I have access upstream through a farmer friend to an extensive mud flat that works best on a spring high tide fishing crab flies. Above the railway bridge there is a big mudflat that is being continuously pumped for prawns and the channels leading to it are disappearing due to encroachment of sand - in fact over the past year, the sand bank has moved 50 to 60 meters upstream as the river has not had a decent flushing for quite awhile. Down there I fish articulated Prawn flies made from deer fur or sculpting fibre and foam. The small Leeries love them.

That is a good tie. Also do one in shrimp pink to imitate a sand prawn. Do them in weighted and unweighted.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2