Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hardy Wraith

"Fast" refers to the process used when the fibres are produced, and "S" is an acronym for "stiff"...so they are probably both slang references.
    Interesting that carbon fibre had been around for longer than fibreglass in commercial applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Fast glass is a slang term for S glass. Higher modulus than E glass and, in essence, closer in mechanical properties to carbon.

Evolution of GRP rods:

Initially E glass was used to manufacture fly rods. In the late 1970's S glass usage began.

S or fast glass, is essentially low grade carbon
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    "Fast" refers to the process used when the fibres are produced, and "S" is an acronym for "stiff"...so they are probably both slang references.
    Interesting that carbon fibre had been around for longer than fibreglass in commercial applications.
    Wiki-Wiki-Wiki-bow-wow-wow ....

Naming and use. Pure silica (silicon dioxide), when cooled as fused quartz into a glass with no true melting point, can be used as a glass fiber for fiberglass, but has the drawback that it must be worked at very high temperatures. In order to lower the necessary work temperature, other materials are introduced as "fluxing agents" (i.e., components to lower the melting point). Ordinary A-glass ("A" for "alkali-lime") or soda lime glass, crushed and ready to be remelted, as so-called cullet glass, was the first type of glass used for fiberglass. E-glass ("E" because of initial Electrical application), is alkali free, and was the first glass formulation used for continuous filament formation. It now makes up most of the fiberglass production in the world, and also is the single largest consumer of boron minerals globally. It is susceptible to chloride ion attack and is a poor choice for marine applications. S-glass ("S" for "stiff") is used when tensile strength (high modulus) is important, and is thus an important building and aircraft epoxy composite (it is called R-glass, "R" for "reinforcement" in Europe). C-glass ("C" for "chemical resistance") and T-glass ("T" is for "thermal insulator"—a North American variant of C-glass) are resistant to chemical attack; both are often found in insulation-grades of blown fiberglass.[9]
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    8 is great, 9 is fine, 10 is the perfect number

So much for 11' rods then
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    So much for 11' rods then
    11= The perfect number 10 plus 1, so it got to be good.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    11= The perfect number 10 plus 1, so it got to be good.
    So better than perfect just equals good?
    Mario Geldenhuys

Are you being stupid or rhetorical?.....my guess would be stupid, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    So better than perfect just equals good?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Are you being stupid or rhetorical?.....my guess would be stupid, but correct me if I'm wrong.
    If I was to start correcting you if you were wrong I'd have nothing else to do
    Mario Geldenhuys

Blog Entries

If I was to start correcting you if you were wrong I'd have nothing else to do
    It must be made out of stone
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    It must be made out of stone
    Just on stripping guides though
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345