Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Switch Rods

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Switch Rods

    Hi to all,

    I'm interested in acquiring a switch rod.
    I have researched the topic fairly well, however the technique is mostly used for river fishing and at that, larger rivers. I have also noticed that switch rods are featuring in still waters where I would like to apply the technique?

    So my questions are:
    1) If anyone have tried the technique, please comment on the applicability on still waters as I think there is definitely an advantage i.e. distance
    2) Looks less effort than single handed casting
    3) I'm looking for a 5wt 11' rod, anyone have one to trade?
    4) According to my research, I have only come across floating lines with or without sink tips. Are there no intermediate lines available for switch rods? I recon 'picking' the line up from the water surface would be problematic

    Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Kind regards,
    Pierre

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,034

    Default

    You have answered you own question about picking up intermediate and sinking lines. You cannot pick up the lines.
    The effort is a lot less to cast the line
    It takes a bit of practising to get all the techniques sorted
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    CApe Town
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Hi piere

    Gink and gasoline did a very good article 3 piece on this exact matter. They covered almost everything from type of lines to exactly where the lines would be used.

    If memory serves go to blog entries and select steelheading blog subject and should be the very first page.

    Hope it helps a little.

    Cheers
    "I wasn't born a fisherman, but I will damn well die a fisherman" - Anon.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Yes I have tried it on stillwaters. Its not ideal, because apart for the limitations on different sink rate lines that you can use, the action of lifting off the water , causes too much disturbance and spooks the fish. Yes, they are designed for larger rivers, and when you line pickup and cast, the technique is to allow for drift and mending, so the fly and line covers a very large horizontal plane, and also when water is moving, the surface is broken, so less chance of spooking fish.
    Theres not much that you can do with a switch rod on still waters, that you cant do with a well executed roll cast, except perhaps a little more distance. Swith rods haven't taken off in this country die to the fact that we don't really have conditions that suit them.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi Uli,

    Thank you so much. I visited the site and you were spot-on. Great information. Now I just need a switch rod. Any idea of a good rod available in SA?




    Quote Originally Posted by Uli@84 View Post
    Hi piere

    Gink and gasoline did a very good article 3 piece on this exact matter. They covered almost everything from type of lines to exactly where the lines would be used.

    If memory serves go to blog entries and select steelheading blog subject and should be the very first page.

    Hope it helps a little.

    Cheers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi Andre,
    Thank you for the information, Always informative. Who would be the person in SA to speak to regarding switch rods and lines? Is there anyone that specialises in this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes I have tried it on stillwaters. Its not ideal, because apart for the limitations on different sink rate lines that you can use, the action of lifting off the water , causes too much disturbance and spooks the fish. Yes, they are designed for larger rivers, and when you line pickup and cast, the technique is to allow for drift and mending, so the fly and line covers a very large horizontal plane, and also when water is moving, the surface is broken, so less chance of spooking fish.
    Theres not much that you can do with a switch rod on still waters, that you cant do with a well executed roll cast, except perhaps a little more distance. Swith rods haven't taken off in this country die to the fact that we don't really have conditions that suit them.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,034

    Default

    On the last trip to the Orange, Francois had a switch rod.
    Amazing what can be done with it. The distances you can cast without false casting etc.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Yes, great on the Orange. Its limited though, in that any long cast across the flow, needs to be done in an area where the river is unobstructed by rocks. Any long cast across, with an across and down technique needs to be unobstructed, in order to get the most out of the technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    On the last trip to the Orange, Francois had a switch rod.
    Amazing what can be done with it. The distances you can cast without false casting etc.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    I don't think that you are going to find a dealer that "specialises" in switch rods in this country, seeing that they are not very popular, but you might find a dealer that can get one for you.
    I suggest that you search for a brand manufacturer that has a good reputation in these types of rods, and then try and find a local dealer for that brand, or import one yourself. Perhaps start with the Sage dealers, as Sage has quite a good range of switch rods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly-o-holic View Post
    Hi Andre,
    Thank you for the information, Always informative. Who would be the person in SA to speak to regarding switch rods and lines? Is there anyone that specialises in this?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,225

    Default

    If you dont want to break the bank Stealth do a Switch rod

    http://stealth.co.za/switch-rod/

    Unfortunately starts from #7 upwards
    Bryan Williams

    “My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

    Check out my albums

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •