Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Switch Rods

Chat to a couple of the rodbuilders, Koos Eckhard, Mario Geldenhuis etc.
    all of them are pretty ingenioius.
    I can add the odd 5c as well when it comes to "practical tricks"
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

I need to know where to obtain the switch grip and rod extension from. How to extend the rod to ensure the correct flex, etc.

The issue is I have purchased a property and goes not have a garage or working space. So I will not endeavour to take on a rod modification project for now. Would like to, however have never done it.

I doubt that a 9 foot rod will be long enough to form a "D" loop, big enough to roll cast the amount of fly line that we are talking about here. Even with a rod extension of 30 cm, and a two handed grip extension. I honestly have my reservations, but I am looking forward to be proven wrong. Its going to be an interesting project to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly-o-holic View Post
    Hi Korrie,
    The bomber is a 9 foot. However still think it will work. Who is best to extend the butt to a switch rod configuration?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Most of the stuff you can do on your dining table.
    For the rest you can come to my factory and use my equipment.
    We are working overtime, every night, so you can come after hours
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Where do I obtain the grip and butt section from? Is there a local supplier?

I doubt that you would find them generally stocked locally. You probably going to have to buy online from an overseas supplier, or ask Alex Burnett , "Catman", on this forum, who lives in Scotland, and is a very accomplished rod designer and builder, with some hooks into some very knowledgeable people with significant experience with two handed rods.
    Where do I obtain the grip and butt section from? Is there a local supplier?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

Andre,
    Thank you very much for the information. I'll contact Alex.

Youre welcome, good luck with this project. Alex built the most amazing rod for me, and I would recommend his expertise to anyone. While I have great respect for some of our local guys who build rods, Alex has significant experience with two handed rods.
    Andre,
    Thank you very much for the information. I'll contact Alex.

Spool #1 - With an Integrated Floating Line -

Your first spool will have;

(A) 125-150 yards of backing
    (B) An integrated line of choice. Sound pretty familiar? Pretty much the same as a single handed rod. The difference is that the line of choice will have more grain weight that the one you would use for a single handed rod. For instance if you were to use an line that is sized for a single handed rod like the Rio Indicator Line you would over- line the rod by 2 to 3 line weights, more grain weight. Not to try to be confusing, but some lines like any of the "Switch" lines are sized to size of your rod. For example a 6 weight switch rod would match up with a 6 weight Rio Switch Line.

Lining your rod is going to be very interesting. According to this website, and if I read it correctly, a 6wt switch line, would be something equivalent in line weight to an 8 or 9 wt single handed line, so to me it would make more sense to convert a 9 wt single handed rod into a switch rod, and use a 6wt switch line, otherwise converting a 6wt rod to a switch, you going to need a 3 wt switch line, and I don't think they make them......

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345