Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 4-weight Stepchild?

Default 4-weight Stepchild?

While fishing with quite a few people over the past week or so, it struck me that 4-weight rods have really taken a backseat in the last couple of years. People would either tackle a stream with a #3 or #2, and if they step it up, they'd go to a #5. Pretty strange that the #4 gets so many weird looks when you take it out. Comments like "Is a #4 not too heavy??" or "Looks a bit light" are not uncommon, which is pretty weird actually. There are some many times that a #4 will be just perfect!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I agree 100%. My dad bought a 9ft 4wt TFO Jim Teeny a while back, mostly for light stillwater work. It is such a fantastic all round river rod. It nymphs really well, does dry fly amazingly well, especially in a slightly bigger river at medium distance and it throws heavier streamers comfortably. It is also a fantastic down and across rod with soft hackles or other wet fliess. I have also had no issues fishing 8x on it. Really a top class rod.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

I'm eyeing a 490B MOD when the time (read money) is right. Should be perfect for the Kraai and Sterk, and even the Orange like it is now. For the same kind of money an Epic would also be nice, but the extra foot gives the MOD the top spot.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Totally agree. a 4wt is a very much underrated rod for many application. My 4wt of choice is the Sage 99, and I use it for most of my trout stillwaterwork, and selected river work, especially in high flow conditions, heavy nymphing conditions. It is also my "go to" yellowfish river rod. Its also perfect in the fairly close conditions of the upper Olifants, where you have to crouch a few meters away from the bank and make a cast over the foliage, to some good strong fish.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    I agree 100%. My dad bought a 9ft 4wt TFO Jim Teeny a while back, mostly for light stillwater work. It is such a fantastic all round river rod. It nymphs really well, does dry fly amazingly well, especially in a slightly bigger river at medium distance and it throws heavier streamers comfortably. It is also a fantastic down and across rod with soft hackles or other wet fliess. I have also had no issues fishing 8x on it. Really a top class rod.
    Last edited by Andre; 12-10-15 at 01:02 PM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I must then be the daddy...
    I use 4 weights 90% of the time. River, stream and dam.
    River (Vaal) I use an Echo Shadow PE 4wt 11ft
    Smallish dams & ponds (basically all we have available in PTA) - I use my St Croix Imperial 9ft 4wt
    When we venture into the nearby mountain stream I normally take my Greys Grxi+ 7'6 4wt

I have many other rods in many weights but going away for a day or week-end close by it is almost always 4wt's.

Around here I will only go up a weight or two when targeting largies or catfish.
    A 00 - 3wt gets hardly used in and around Gauteng

The problem with 8X on a 4wt, especially a Jim Teeny, which, lets face it, isn't the most delicate stick in the weight class, is that someone without half an ounce of skill, is going to pop tippets on a half decent fish, so it probably isn't a good idea to advertise that its a normal easy thing for the rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    A 00 - 3wt gets hardly used in and around Gauteng

Only to save money for this

Mario Geldenhuys

Thats exactly why I bought a 4wt SP - Its a bit pap, so it feels like a 3wt but it can handle Orange River Yellows. Also great for protecting tippet, but it doesnt quite punch out enough line for distance work.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

The 4wt SP is great for distance work. Casts a full line with two medium weighted flies with no problem. yes its a great rod for yellows, just a bit short, that's all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Thats exactly why I bought a 4wt SP - Its a bit pap, so it feels like a 3wt but it can handle Orange River Yellows. Also great for protecting tippet, but it doesnt quite punch out enough line for distance work.

A 490 would be a great all-round rod for me at this stage. If only the Dollar was not such an issue :-( :-(
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast