Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: New 2016 Yellowstone 5wt Shootout

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    As Korrie says, there is a supply chain , where everyone takes a cut, supposedly for their value added contribution (the retail value chain) in bringing the product within easy access to the final user. It happens with all products that you can think of, from food to clothing to electronic goods...everything. Its a basic fact of economics. Your friend is just a clever business man, and if he can achieve those margins, then good for him. That's capitalism, and if the market is prepared to pay his prices, then well done to him.
    What concerns me more with this test, and you have touched on it, is the way that they have chosen the criteria, and applied them accross all the rods in the test. There are rods with different actions, all being tested with the same line, etc etc... of course some will perform better than others. Change the line, change some of the criteria, change the leader setup, change some of the people testing the rods, and you can manipulate the results to whatever result that you want.

Exactly Andre. You cant take a bunch of rods put the same lines and leaders on them and do the same casting tests and say one is better than the other.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Yup...everyone is in the same boat. the vast majority of imported stuff is Dollar based, so it effects everyone equally. the exchange rate is the same for big and small businesses. Small businesses are better able to adjust their service offerings to make themselves more competitive. differentiation on price strategy is the most risky business strategy and most small business owners will tell you that pricing strategies very seldom maintain customer loyalty.
    Take your own products for example. You make those awesome nets that are very expensive compared to some of the imported mass produced nets, yet people still buy them from you...Why? you have differentiated yourself through a strategy other than price.
    Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Agreed, that has always been the case. My comment was directly aimed at the Zar/Usd and how it affects those relying on stock from abroad (small quantities to reflect their business size) to keep going.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

You make those awesome nets that are very expensive compared to some of the imported mass produced nets, yet people still buy them from you...Why? you have differentiated yourself through a strategy other than price.
    a) Thank you very much

b) I'm hoping it is due to much better quality in the final product

It must be added, I have seen some mass produced nets from the east that are really well made!!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Donald Trump het onlangs gesê die dollar gaan crash! (Een vd dae hengel almal Sage)

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Donald Trump het onlangs gesê die dollar gaan crash! (Een vd dae hengel almal Sage)
    http://www.bloombergview.com/article...-have-indexed-
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0768126fd3edb
    This Donald Trump?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Tamer View Post
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes the billion dollar guy aka new Pressie!

Back to the subject of this post i have to say i would 100% agree with GA on the redington vapen.This is the worst rod ive ever casted.Its heavy as hell physically as well as in swing weight.
    I have a silstar fly rod from 1987 that casts and feels better..

Here's an interesting write up , criticising the Yellowstone anglers shootouts. Its a very old one, from 2011, but some of the facts still apply. anyway, it makes for interesting reading.
    Basically, the conclusions are the same... a shootout can be manipulated to any result that you want, and the uneducated, unsuspecting rod purchasing public, in their ignorance, might just fall for it.
    http://troutunderground.com/2011/01/...es-the-target/

Here's an interesting write up , criticising the Yellowstone anglers shootouts. Its a very old one, from 2011, but some of the facts still apply. anyway, it makes for interesting reading.
    Basically, the conclusions are the same... a shootout can be manipulated to any result that you want, and the uneducated, unsuspecting rod purchasing public, in their ignorance, might just fall for it.
    http://troutunderground.com/2011/01/...es-the-target/
    Good read Andre.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4