Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch Rod

Excellent explanation, thanks. Im looking forward to hearing how it works out.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly-o-holic View Post
    Hi Korrie,
    Different rods. The extension piece fits inside the old blank.
    I suggest you epoxy the section into the old blank and then a lovely decorative wrap over the section.
    Will be permanent
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Blog Entries

Hi Korrie,
    Agree, however the problem is that I have converted a 5wt and 7wt conventional rod to switch rods and I am using the same extension for both. So I would prefer not to epoxy and make it permanent. Trying to have the best of both worlds, not really possible as the 5 and 7 weights tapers are slightly different.

OK
    if I understand correct, you will have 2 rods as switch rods #5 and #7?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Not sure if this helps, but I have converted two blanks to 10 footers by addng an extra section to the back, one 8ft4 and one 9 ft. I just wrapped the female sections (i.e the original butt end of the blank) like you would any other section. The whole grip and reel seat fits on the new back section, so it works out well.
    The setup holds up very well and I have had no issues with the blank splitting anywhere.

Foreign sections dont always have the same taper as the original blank so some sections may work loose easier as the day progress. I just learned to check every once in a while with my 2nd rod. You may want to try different sections to find one that fits perfectly, if you have the luxury.
    On my first rod the section I decided to use was a little soft to my liking, so I glued another thinner section inside of that one to beef it up a bit. Bit of extra weight I guess but it created the ideal action for my liking, gives me reassurance that it wont break very easily, plus it gives me killer power in the butt for when I need to wrestle a fish upstream.

In any case, to answer your original question, as long as the butt of your current blank is in good shape, just treat it like a normal female section.

P.S remember you should always wrap your female sections before inserting anything. You will need to do this as you will be fitting and testing a bit. If not the section can crack easily and thats just a dumb way to ruin your blank. They say you should wrap it with thread but, touch wood, a tight wrap with masking tape have seemed to work just fine for me.
    Last edited by BenzoV; 20-11-15 at 05:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi Korrie,
    Yes, I have 2 off rods and was hoping to use the extention for both.

Hey Benzo, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go. I wrap my blank ends(female) with insulation tape while testing.
    Thank you for the comprehensive reply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12