Thread: 9ft 3 wt rod

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 9ft 3 wt rod

Hey Guys

So I am looking at buying someone a gift and noticed that this person fishes a 9ft rod and only do dry fly fishing....

So without breaking the bank and only having a budget of about R2100.00 give or take , what rod would you buy or rather what can you get for this price in the spec above?

Thanks in advance...

Jacques
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

If he only does dry fly fishing, and no chance he would try nymphing, I probably wouldn't recommend a 9 foot rod, but probably more towards an 8 foot or slightly shorter. I presume its for stream work.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Yes Andre, he fishes the W/Cape streams....
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    If he only does dry fly fishing, and no chance he would try nymphing, I probably wouldn't recommend a 9 foot rod, but probably more towards an 8 foot or slightly shorter. I presume its for stream work.
    I would recommend 9ft - its what i use and for me is perfect.

Extra length really helps with control of drifts - sure you lose a bit of accuracy and the extra foot feels heavy in the hand but that can be worked on by the angler and the benefits of controlling the drift far outweigh those issues.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Oh wait i just clicked - cant be many of us using 9ft - is it for me? :biggrin:
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Yes a 9 foot does help with drifts and high sticking, I agree. The 9 foot is a good option, but if I was doing dry fly only, my choice would be a shorter, slightly medium fast taper. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

Extra length really helps with control of drifts - sure you lose a bit of accuracy and the extra foot feels heavy in the hand but that can be worked on by the angler and the benefits of controlling the drift far outweigh those issues.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

For that price the greys streamflex xf2 range are fantastic...they perform like the top of the range rods imo.The finish is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    For that price the greys streamflex xf2 range are fantastic...they perform like the top of the range rods imo.The finish is good too.
    Not if its green

Let me throw the cat among the pigeons here.... I don't know what is going on at Greys, but I had a go with one of the newer streamflex's recently, and I was horrified at how cr@p it was compared to the older models of 7 or 8 years ago. Quite shocking actually. I remember my old Streamflex being a reasonable crispy, responsive stick, albeit with an irritating tip wobble, but the one I tried recently was a dead dull horrible thing, and nothing close to a top line rod. ...sorry, just my observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post