Thread: New Zealand trip coming up, advise needed

Default New Zealand trip coming up, advise needed

Greeting everyone,

I am in the process of planning a trip to New Zealand last week of February 2016. I will be fishing the North island with a friend that lives there, so I am not concerned about that at all. From there I will be fishing South Island on my own, I plan to fish the South Island for 5 days. I am aware of all the country regs regarding licenses/felt wading boots etc etc. has anyone got any recommendations for me in terms a good lodge to base myself at? I have never fished nz, and want to pick a place that is going to give me the best chance at fishing as much water as possible. At the moment I am looking at a couple of places, all within 2 hrs driving time from queenstown.Any advise would be much appreciated.

Guido
    Last edited by Guido; 28-11-15 at 02:36 PM.

I did the SI, about 14 years ago.
    We moved around never staying more than a night in one town.
    One thing to remember, travelling in NZ especially SI, takes much longer than you think.
    Speed limit is between 80 and 100km/h and sometimes you will only travel at 60km/h on that roads due to rain, cars on winding roads etc.
    There are lots of accommodation available i.e. backpackers, camping sites with bungalows, or go to the local estate agent, they have holiday homes on the books.
    You will be in one of the "peak times" of the year in SI, then some of the spots are full. We nearly slept in the car the one night.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

In past years, "free " camping was allowed. Im not sure if you can still do that. Friends that I know, went over a few years back and back packed and "free camped" for a few months without any problems.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    In past years, "free " camping was allowed. Im not sure if you can still do that. Friends that I know, went over a few years back and back packed and "free camped" for a few months without any problems.
    Yes, but there are some "rules" involved. Will find the URL and post.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Thanks for the response guys... Through many posts I have been put in touch with a South African guide on the South Island, this has turned out to be a life saver! I am planning to fish the te anau area extensively over a 10 day period.
    Can hardly sleep I'm so excited, and it's still two months away, lol! Going to be a long wait...