Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6wt for light saltwater use?

Default 6wt for light saltwater use?

Im looking for a mid range 6wt for light saltwater use.Throwing small crazy charlies or clousers (#4 - #12's) from the beach or off the rocks into gullies.
    Fish being targeted are small wave garrick,blacktail,moonies,mullet or whatever in the shore zone.Been using an 8wt but its a bit of overkill for these size fish.
    I know stealth have a bomber range and a magnum range but i have no idea what these rods are like?

Advice pls?

I've got an Orvis Access 6wt. It can be used for Salt and the thing is a beast, smooth with casting and can handle big fish if need be. I got my setup from these guys : www.sportsclearance.co.za

Hope this helps
    Last edited by DominoSA; 07-12-15 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Hi Cormo_Rant,

In regards to the two Stealth Rods in question. The Bomber is what Stealth calls a Super Fast Action and I have to say it is really fast so you may need to use a line or two up in class to load in easily if you are not accustomed to it. It will also likely be a better rod for casting in the wind. I am not sure what lines you usually use (Shooting vs Sinking/intermediate) but I am sure on a 6wt Bomber a shooting line between 150 to 200grain would probably load it nicely, Some tweaking on the head length may be required to get it perfectly tuned.

The Magnum on the other had is a very easy rod to cast and can easily double as a nice trout/yellow fish rod matched with a floating line. The magnum will help with better presentation for dries and the like. This rod also has slightly poorer quality components and may not hold up as long in the salt as the bomber imo.

I hope it helps a bit. If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Konrad
    Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience - "Ralph Waldo Emerson"
    www.flyordie.co.za

I am of the opinion that a 6wt is too light for any kind of salt and estuary fishing. Not that it wont do the job, but there are three main reasons why I find it limiting.
    At some point you are going to need to deal with the wind, a 6 wt is too light to do this for hours on end, its going to kill you.
    Also the size of the flies, sometimes conditions require a larger heavier fly which a 6 wt might struggle with.
    Thirdly, fishing a full day, in the salt, needs many long casts, and without an ideally suited rod in wind, large flies, etc etc... its going to, at some point become a mission. Short sessions of a couple of hours where you don't need too many large heavy flies and wind to deal with... fine...go for it.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Blog Entries

I agree with you Andre, but Cormo_rant did say he already owns a 8wt.

I have at times fished a 6wt and I know most of the guys here in Richards Bay love fishing 7wts in the salt when conditions permit and you know you are targeting smaller fish close in on small flies, which is the norm here. Most of these guys also wont go fishing in the salt when the wind gets over 20kmph anyway so they don't really need a rod that can punch a line.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...
    www.flyordie.co.za

Ya I know, I too have used a 6 wt for salt in the past, and they can do some of the job,
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

My salt experience is about 4 hours last year but I used my 9wt rod off the rocks and caught a small shad. So yes it was completely overkill for that specific fish.

If I read the comments above can someone please explain how you can confidently fish a 6wt and only catch small fish?
    I have always been told that when it comes to the sea you always come prepared, as you never know what you might catch and there's no limit when talking sea fishing.
    If you go to a trout stockie pond you know the max size is going to be 1.5kg. The vaal for yellows in the 2-3 kg mark but the sea can be anything from 500 grams to a 20kg Garrick within two casts.

The reason I ask is i'm off the north coast for new year and I have a 6 and 9wt set up. We staying at the hatchery so I have access to the estuary and the surf.

So should I take the 6 for the estuary (which is closed at the moment) and the 9 for the surf. To me that is the safer option as hooking a big fish in the estuary is just like fishing in dam, so you don't have the additional current and wave action to fight with and therefore a 6 is probably fine.

Or do you just fish the 9 and rather just be safe than sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Hi Grant,

In fly fishing you do not choose the rod size for the fish you want to catch but the flies you want to cast in which ever conditions prevail. To me the reel you match your rod with becomes more important than the rod itself and especially in the salt. Just have a look at the guys fighting a GT on a 12wt, rod straight and the reel does the work...

In other word don't worry so much about the rod, if you can cast the flies you want in the conditions that prevail fairly comfortably then you are using the right rod. Worry rather about your reel...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    www.flyordie.co.za

Nothing wrong with #6 rods for light SWFF.
    I'm using #6 rods for light Salt Fishing , say in the areas like Cozy Bay and Cape Vidal .
    Sometimes in the very strong wind and high waves , using flies up to #4 size, which are not so light.
    Of course , the best casting is with , say , Salt Buggers #6-8-10 size, since those flies perfectly match #6 rods.
    Rods : Sage TCR #6, and Sage XII used to work perfectly .
    In the last few years , as you might know, I am using exclusively Epic Fast Glass #686 , and it is just fantastic for the job.
    Even in the strong wind .

I am not getting tired and my wrist is not crying after 8 hours of fishing ,with Epic #686 .
    That was one of the reasons I switched to Epic rods, absolutely the most pleasant and easiest casting one can imagine .

Again and again , it is all about casting(fly presentation ) on the first place.

On the second place , size/weight of the fly will define your rod/line size/weight.

Casting such a light flies with #9 rod is a little bit strange to me.
    Everyone will get Tennis Elbow in just one afternoon of such a self-torture exercise.

Cheers,
    Zoran
    Last edited by Zoran; 08-12-15 at 10:44 AM.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cormo_rant View Post
    Im looking for a mid range 6wt for light saltwater use.Throwing small crazy charlies or clousers (#4 - #12's) from the beach or off the rocks into gullies.
    Fish being targeted are small wave garrick,blacktail,moonies,mullet or whatever in the shore zone.Been using an 8wt but its a bit of overkill for these size fish.
    I know stealth have a bomber range and a magnum range but i have no idea what these rods are like?

Advice pls?
    Probably the Bomber are the better option ito of fish fighting abilties and saltwater use. Coming from a more R&S background, knowing you want to target smaller gully species, with smaller flies, in the salt you can not choose what you might hook, unlike a specific trout venue. I will rather stick with the 8wt when fishing the gullies. You will deal better with the wind, might have a fighting chance when hooking a solid fish. Use your trout outfit when conditions permit and make piece with the fact that you might get busted

Tel +27 21 855 2646 Web - www.winelandsflyfishing.co.za
    E-mail info@winelandsflyfishing.co.za

Shop - Trips - Tuition - Custom Flies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast