Thread: Goukou River - Stilbaai

Default Goukou River - Stilbaai

Spent the past weekend in Stilbaai and although fishing was slow and not many grunters and kob were around we managed to land quite a few leeries. Not the biggest but always fun. Didn't take the fly gear with this time but will definitely when I go down again later this month. Managed to capture some of the footage on my gopro and compile a video, will hopefully be producing many more in the coming months. This was my first try so let me know what you think. For those of you heading down that way, some big elf have been coming out of the river surprisingly and plenty leeries. All downstream from the bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sy4woQmI0

Mighty fine job with the video. Good fishing too.

Last time I drove so fast thru Stilbaai and skipped 2 STOP signs I got massive fines.
    Nice video for the first time.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Try get some klipvissies from the rocks and use as livebait - the grunters love it!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Nice to see youngsters have great fun! Glad you shared!
    Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Scullery

Kief video man! Good job
    Regards,
    Leonardo

Very nice guys, I can see my in law's house on your video. I have fished with fly for leeries there a lot and have caught quite a lot - so take the fly rods next time! I catch them on gurglers/flippers mostly.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Why don't you get yourself up to Calitzdorp while you are in the area and fish for yellows in the Gouritz?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thanks guys! Hopefully some more to come in the coming weeks.

Andre, actually just got back from the eastern cape where we caught plenty of yellowfish in the fish river near somerset-east. Didn't do much filming so no video but the fishing is really good in that area. Just too hot to spend much time on the water. Will definitely do gouritz in the future, only saltwater fishing in the coming weeks for me though.