Thread: Kenton and Vleesbaai

Default Kenton and Vleesbaai

Hey guys

It's been a long time since I've visited the forum. Looking for some advice.

I have limited experience in salt water fly-fishing.

I have a 7wt outfit with floating, intermediate and sinking lines (my largemouth yellow setup). I also have a 9wt outfit (just short the line...)

I'm heading down to Kenton-on-sea in a few days time. Visiting a mate. Have one day to fish (if I push it, I can work in two afternoons...) Need to make the most of it! My mate is not a fisherman so I need your advice. Which river to fish? Boesmans or Kariega? Spots? Tides? Which species to target? Flies? Tactics?

After Kenton I am off to Vleesbaai. I know the rock & surf guys talk highly of the 'saal' and other areas. Are there any good spots for fly fishing? Worst case I'll have to pull out the dropshot rod, but I would prefer to keep it in the car...

Any advice much appreciated!

Cheers
    Jacques

was there in December, did not fish much but found some (small) Garrick in the Bushman's around the mouth area on the falling tide (almost at low tide). Fishing was generally quite tough though with not alot of action / fish activity.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

for Vleesbaai, try the gouritz river where the R325 road crosses the river, downstream a km or so, or right at the bridge, lots of small leeries to a kilo and then further downstream on east bank some cliffs with deep water and kob
    "Only when the last tree has died,and the last river has been poisoned,and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed

Fish Gourits at the bridge for Leeries. Think it is your best bet for Salt FF. The coast line, die Saal etc. is good for R&S but I think you will waste time to try and FF.

You might also try at Gourits mouth area, but think the bridge will be better and easier.

Thanks felllas. Any spots good for Grunter at the above locations?

Gourits river. Maybe make friends with a local and try get some info on where to fish the river. I won't waste limited time chasing grunters with fly on waters you don't know.

I might be a bit late but in kenton you will want to fish the kariega causeway. Smallish clousers will always work just about anywhere. You get the added bonus of watching out for buffalo and elephants and, if you are particularly unlucky, lions. You will find skippies, leeries and cob there. The grunts are there in huge numbers but they don't tail as there aren't flats. It's a much easier place to fish if you have floatation. It will also mean you don't have to concentrate on listening for approaching buffalo. Don't float tube though as you will be eaten, but kayaks are perfect. It's a really lekker place to fish.
    An honest fisherman is a pretty uninteresting person.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and not only is he hungry but broke for the rest of his life as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques O Dell View Post
    Thanks felllas. Any spots good for Grunter at the above locations?
    my spot for grunter is in Gourits. If you drive into gourits take the left turn down to the boat launching area.
    then you walk to the left of the jetti, not very far til you get to an old fence in the water there are two small tree branches sticking out the water between those two you will see grunter movements! I have caught plenty there but have not picked up FF at the time so I will need to go back and try again. They are almost always there! One day I got bored catching stumpnose while targeting grunter, I saw the grunter tailing and I caught 2 with the cast net, the one tore up my net both should still be swimming around

see the picture red is the old fence and the green is +- where the branches are, you can't mis it right by the mud flats, just watch your feet as the mud is hard and super slippery!Untitled.jpg