Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken Rod

Default Broken Rod

I'm still trying to figure out how I broke my 4pc Orvis TLS into 6 pieces on the weekend.

I was wetlining a deep pool on the Tongariro on Saturday evening. 3rd cast and I lose my fly on a snag, 4th cast another fly lost on the same snag. Then 5th cast and (you guessed it) I'm hooked up on the same snag. I choose a suitable expletive to accompany a gentle tug with my raised rod, and CRACK, the rod breaks off at the bottom ferrule.

The top sections are then swept into the depths of the pool. I retrieve them on the end of the line to find that the 2nd from top section is now broken in 2 places.

Thanks heavens for the Orvis guarantee, just wondering how I'm going to explain how I broke the rod in 3 places.

A good weekend aside from that.

bummer Kev! sorry to hear it. but as you say - "Thanks heavens for the Orvis guarantee" so you should be ok.

did you get your flies back from the snag too
    the patient mental...

Thanks for the sympathy Dev, I was a bit dejected Saturday night, only felt better after the 3rd lager.

I'm now wondering if it was a gentle expletive and a forceful tug, rather than a forceful expletive and a gentle tug. It's hard to remember when you're angry.

i'm sure it was a gentle tug ...
    the patient mental...

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how I broke my 4pc Orvis TLS into 6 pieces on the weekend.

I was wetlining a deep pool on the Tongariro on Saturday evening. 3rd cast and I lose my fly on a snag, 4th cast another fly lost on the same snag. Then 5th cast and (you guessed it) I'm hooked up on the same snag. I choose a suitable expletive to accompany a gentle tug with my raised rod, and CRACK, the rod breaks off at the bottom ferrule.

The top sections are then swept into the depths of the pool. I retrieve them on the end of the line to find that the 2nd from top section is now broken in 2 places.

Thanks heavens for the Orvis guarantee, just wondering how I'm going to explain how I broke the rod in 3 places.

A good weekend aside from that.

Eish, sorry mate. Never nice to bust a rod!

On a lighter side though - Scott used to encourage people to send in how they busted their Scott rods - one of the best ones I heard is from a guy who fished somewhere in Alaska, and had his tackle bag trampled by an angry Moose! Broke all the rods that he had lined up for the day! How about that
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hey matey - I think that you were angry and your rod got more than just a gentle tug - usually if a rod breaks in one place it has a defect - if it explodes or has multiple breaks it has been overstressed - in other words you tugged too hard!
    Either way it is still a bummer!

Thanks Johno, I feel better now

Could thing the warranty is unconditional.

PS. Dev, yes the fly did come free after all of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
    PS. Dev, yes the fly did come free after all of that.
    then what's all the fuss about???
    the patient mental...

I posted my broken rod to the states on 11 July and just received a brand new replacement back today. 12 days turnaround including postage both ways. No questions asked, no charge.

How's that for customer services?

nice one Kev!
    the patient mental...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast