Thread: First Bamboo Rod complete

Default First Bamboo Rod complete

Hi Guys

In July i started building my first Bamboo rod (http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ders-Cape-Town Thanks to all who helped out with advice etc).

It was not without its challenges. I would have had 2 different rods out of one culm but my vice (which is not fixed to the table) fell off and snapped the butt .

The rod is a Lee Wulff Midge 6', 5wt but feels more like a 3-4wt. Nice fast action. It's by no means perfect, but extremely happy with the final product and it chucks a dry fly and/or woolly bugger beautifully as well as fights a 1.67kg bass no problem. On the stream I paired it with a nice vintage Pfleuger medalist reel, one of the last few models still made in the USA in the 70's

Below are some pics of the final product and some of the action it's received the last few days.

Last edited by frogstar; 15-01-16 at 03:26 PM.

Well done and lovely fish
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Thanks Korrie

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

niiiiice, congrats on the your first bamboo build. question, was the bass testing the rod or was it you, hehehe, nice catch anyways

Thanks dollar

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by frogstar View Post
    Hi Guys

In July i started building my first Bamboo rod (http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ders-Cape-Town Thanks to all who helped out with advice etc).

It was not without its challenges. I would have had 2 different rods out of one culm but my vice (which is not fixed to the table) fell off and snapped the butt .

The rod is a Lee Wulff Midge 6', 5wt but feels more like a 3-4wt. Nice fast action. It's by no means perfect, but extremely happy with the final product and it chucks a dry fly and/or woolly bugger beautifully as well as fights a 1.67kg bass no problem. On the stream I paired it with a nice vintage Pfleuger medalist reel, one of the last few models still made in the USA in the 70's

Below are some pics of the final product and some of the action it's received the last few days.

Nice first attempt. Well done!