Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Walker's Killer

Cool Walker's Killer

I am posting this in response to the Anti Walker's Killer/Mrs Simpson trout snobs.

A short message to those who claim both are pellet imitiations - in Loveland Colorado, both flies were VERY productive (in both stream and still water) when the trout stopped rising to small dries and nymphs (#18 and smaller), and these fish are 100% wild - never having seen a pellet or anything else man-made. I gave my guide a handful of these flies and he still raves about them.

The same thing happened with my brother and my son on separate occasions in the Snowy Mountains in Australia.

My point is .... these flies WORK very well indeed under certain circumstances - and should be in any fly box.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I agree. Fact is, they are almost too effective, which can rob the angler of further creative thought, especially newbies to the sport.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

They sure have proved themselves as great fish takers. I also always keep a few in my flybox, and forget about them for long periods of time, but every now and then for the hell of it I will put one on, and sure thing, they produce the goods every time!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I agree. Fact is, they are almost too effective, which can rob the angler of further creative thought, especially newbies to the sport.
    maybe .. but I DO think that a newbie should CATCH fish ... to really get them hooked!! (no pun intended). They can refine their techniques later.

Don't get me wrong - these days I get more enjoyment out of catching a 10" trout in one of our streams using a #20 dry than dragging a WK/Mrs S around - but that has been a result of many many years of FF evolution.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

hehe........ja, but lets face it, everything goes in cycles. The way I am fishing these days, I'm inclined to want to go back to the Mrs Simpsons and the Walkers Killers, just to feel what it is like to have a fish on the line again!

I always keep a few WK/Mrs Simpson (various sizes) in my fly box. They normally do the trick when ALL else fails.

later
    Francois

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    hehe........ja, but lets face it, everything goes in cycles. The way I am fishing these days, I'm inclined to want to go back to the Mrs Simpsons and the Walkers Killers, just to feel what it is like to have a fish on the line again!
    HEHEHEHE .. I know that feeling Chris!! .... which is why I will be visiting Eikendal and/or Dewdale in the very near future ... armed with Mr Walker & Mrs S!!!

hehe....you go Jasper! Us older guys are allowed to resort to such antics....it's all fair play

I feel a need to CONFESS Father Chris:

A month ago ... I was fishing Millstream (btw an AMAZING venue). There were four or five big (2-3kg) Rainbows cruising the wall .... but interested in NOTHING we could offer (including WK/MrsS).

The (OLD) guy fishing with me had his fly - an egg pattern - land ON the back of a resting fish. He informed me of this ... I shouted "STRIKE the ******!" .. which he did. It resulted in an incredible fight with a 2.5kg fish hooked neatly in the dorsal fin!!

I admit ... it was VERY satisfying for both of us!! (anglers NOT the humiliated fish!)... and I think very skillful fishing!!!
    Last edited by Jasper; 25-06-07 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling

hahaha.......you're forgiven my son. I wish I could cast that accurately!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast