Thread: Grunter advice

Default Grunter advice

Howsit guys need some info please.
    Been in Stilbaai for a week and been fishing for grunter for ninety percent of the time.
    I've had probably close to 20 "nudges" on floating prawns. All except 3 have been where the fish have come up and followed the fly mouthing at it like when carp feed on the surface. The other three was one smash and two positive bites at the fly.

Question is, is there anything I'm doing wrong? I keep the fly moving when they following but they won't commit. Is this normal when fishing for them or are they refusing because there might be something wrong with the fly?

I would strip a lot faster. Happened to me for 2 days and then I stripped quick short strips and got a hook up.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks Brian should have read your reply earlier got skunked by another five fish today. Unfortunately back in Cape Town now.
    Just to confirm did you start stripping faster when they started following or your whole retrieve?

Hi Occie, Im in stilbaai often and the only action I've ever had from a grunter is a nude on a flipper. How does the fly look that you are using? I have a floating felt prawn fly I throw at them. Do you throw at tailing fish?

Cheers

Tiaan
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

Quote Originally Posted by yella View Post
    Hi Occie, Im in stilbaai often and the only action I've ever had from a grunter is a nude on a flipper. How does the fly look that you are using? I have a floating felt prawn fly I throw at them. Do you throw at tailing fish?

Cheers

Tiaan
    Howsit man.
    If you pm me your number i will whatsapp you some pics of the flies and a spot I found them consistantly every day.
    Was fishing at both tailing and sighted fish.

What was the water clarity like? I threw my bloody arms off again this weekend at the Breede but the water was very clear and they did not even come and look at the fly. also tried neutrally buoyant prawns and small grunter charlies.

Got most of the action on a sandy flat in about a meter of water so the water was quite clear.
    Found you needed a bit of wind to create a chop on the water to be able to get close to them and cast without spooking the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by occie View Post
    Thanks Brian should have read your reply earlier got skunked by another five fish today. Unfortunately back in Cape Town now.
    Just to confirm did you start stripping faster when they started following or your whole retrieve?
    Hi Occie
    Yes, I would cast 2-3 in front of the roaming Grunter, and when he gets close give two short strips to get his attention, then when he starts to come towards the fly I start the strip(fast). This was on a Pink Charlie.
    That said and done on another occasion I was picked up when the prawn imitation was lying on the bottom without any movement. This was on a articulated pink prawn imitation.
    You have to vary the retrieve. Grunter do have their moods.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Thanks so I have come to learn.
    First day first time fishing for them walking along the bank see a fish just chilling a meter out from the bank. Make a sloppy cast. Fish doesn't spook. Start a figure of eight retrieve. Fish comes up has a tentative bite at the fly and turns. Comes up again this time hitting the fly harder and pulling it down in its wake.

Must admit thought what are these guys talking about this is easy.

Six days of frustration followed leaving me with sleepless nights.

Need my revenge soon.