Thread: Help with Lesotho on Malibamatso River from Oxbow Lodge

Default Help with Lesotho on Malibamatso River from Oxbow Lodge

Hey there guys....sho it's been a while hey...was very into the bass thing again quite a bit but then with all the heat I am taking a sabbatical again from bass in pursuit of some trout in cooler places. Next trip will see us heading to Lesotho from 3rd September to the 11th.

We will be trekking from Oxbow lodge and hike for about 5 days....we wanter to go downwards towards Katse but we think that is what most people do, has anyone ever been up from the lodge? We presume it will still be quite cold so geared up for any sort of weather that gets thrown our way. It will be our first time. Just 3 mates hitting it away from everything and everyone.

Any advice? Weather experiences? The fishing? Fly selections, tippet size? Any help wpuld really be appreciated...hopefully a few of you have been before. It seems that its one of the least crowded places upwards and quite remote. Really looking forward to the trip. I would really appreciate if anybody would please share with us guys thanks a million in advance...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

if you have 5 days, best would be to get someone from oxbow to drop you off at Ha Lejone (top end of katse), and hike up the Malibamatso back to oxbow, some nice water there. I believe the river has been badly affected by the drought so not sure of current status. September normally a good mouth for lesotho.
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Hey Firephish thanks a million for the advice. We were originally thinking about doing that. But then we figured maybe go up river as I think most people dont do that...also if the river is lower toward Katse won't it be better more upwards towards the source?

there is some nice fishing above oxbow, but it gets quite thin very quickly. Going upstream would be better at a wetter time of year ie April.

In September the water could be very low, with better fishing prospects (read flow) downstream.

Hi, you may have to take your decision to go up (high flow) or down (low flow) based on the flow at the time. Go to Oxbow then hike up or down for 3 days fishing an back for 2. There is fantastic water up & down. I would take 5weight rigged with nypmh and 3 weight with dry. The guys at Oxbow has never had a problem with us parking there.

As an extra thought, the water near Oxbow is normally super-clear in May, so unless there is major snow, expect it to be ridiculously clear in September. This will make for extra technical fishing in the upper reaches.

What are the permission requirements for randomly camping there? Do you need to negotiate with a chief each day? Do they speak English?

Default Hello

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    As an extra thought, the water near Oxbow is normally super-clear in May, so unless there is major snow, expect it to be ridiculously clear in September. This will make for extra technical fishing in the upper reaches.

What are the permission requirements for randomly camping there? Do you need to negotiate with a chief each day? Do they speak English?
    Hey Circus long time, no chief permissions what so ever. Lucky is super nice (white guy). If it is just one or so vehicle we park for free. I just take him a bottle of something nice to say thank you and sleep over for at least one evening out of common courtesy.

A GPS is a must and a phone to let the lodge know daily that we are ok. But yes we go camp wherever whenever.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

advisable (and common courtesy) to ask the local chief where you can camp when hiking deep into lesotho, since all land is communal and administered by chiefs.

Hey Emjay - I used to fish this area quite often around 8 years ago, above and below oxbow. Some mates and I also did the walk from Khatsi to Oxbow over 5 days, was truely epic. Let me know if you keen to fish it again next season would love to join you guys.