Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: The Ultimate Noob

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Upington
    Posts
    46

    Default

    RD sent you 2 PM's.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durbanville, Western Cape
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    RD sent you 2 PM's.
    Sorry, I never got an email notification.. Will check it now

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Howdy all,

    ravingDIODE here, aka Riaan, from Durbanville...

    I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

    I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

    I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

    Cheers!

    raving
    Welcome RD, nice to see a fellow GS'er here.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!
    Welcome Alec. Nice to see you here as well.
    Frederick

    "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

    "The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

    "If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durbanville, Western Cape
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Welcome RD, nice to see a fellow GS'er here.
    Shot! haha I am amazed how often I find other GS'ers on other forums :P

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Upington
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Welcome RD, nice to see a fellow GS'er here.



    Welcome Alec. Nice to see you here as well.
    my magies, dankie!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Howdy all,

    ravingDIODE here, aka Riaan, from Durbanville...

    I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

    I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

    I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

    Cheers!

    raving
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    hay welcome! I am super new to fly fishing myself, I am in kuilsrivier, just around the block, maybe we can go fishing some time in the future!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlecJ View Post
    my magies, dankie!
    Daai video het mooi gewerk. Nou moet ek net die silikoon maak. Whatsapp my asb 'n lys van die bestandele.
    Frederick

    "If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking, how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Billy Connolly

    "The harder you try, the luckier you get" - Gary Player.

    "If your mind can conceive it; and your heart can believe it - then you can achieve it." - Muhammad Ali

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Howdy all,

    ravingDIODE here, aka Riaan, from Durbanville...

    I am totally new to the idea of fly fishing and only decided two weeks ago that I want to give it a bash after reading online that when targeting bass where dams are fished hard, often changing over to flies will have greater success. This prompted me to head down to the shops and start looking at fly gear.

    I will be getting my first outfit from Winelands Flyfishing within the next week or two and will be targeting mostly dams and bass and hopefully Trout at Lakensvlei. My GF lives in Ceres and as a result I am there quite often and would like to start fishing around there regularly if possible.

    I am looking forward to learning what I can from the forum and hopefully meeting some new folk along the road as I explore and ask a lot of questions :P

    Cheers!

    raving
    For Bass I would go with a 7/8 weight a outfit as the flies you will be casting will be pretty big. See what your local outfitter has that will fit your pocket.
    For trout you will use a lighter set up 5 weight and less, but again find out out what waters you will be fishing and what the best outfit is for them from local anglers. Enjoy. FF will give you a life time of enjoyment
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Durbanville, Western Cape
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by briansflyfishing View Post
    For Bass I would go with a 7/8 weight a outfit as the flies you will be casting will be pretty big. See what your local outfitter has that will fit your pocket.
    For trout you will use a lighter set up 5 weight and less, but again find out out what waters you will be fishing and what the best outfit is for them from local anglers. Enjoy. FF will give you a life time of enjoyment
    Thanks! I ended up with the Grays G10 7 weight 9' and took a steel explorer reel with it and aeroflow floating line to start with. I would like to get a better reel at some stage in the future but I am quite happy with the rod so far.

    I am headed to Lakensvlei this afternoon for 2 or 3 hours to practise and see if I can't maybe catch some bass or by any luck a trout. I went and bought a very cheap sinking line at Somerset sport yesterday to add to my spare spool which I will also just try out before heading home and provided I haven't caught anything yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •