Thread: There has to still be trout

Default There has to still be trout

Guys who that is still active on flytalk knows about good river/stream action around Graskop, Pilgrims and blyde. I am over the Sabie, many moons ago we used to catch massive troot but haven't in the meantime had the chance to check out the rivers in the bundu's. The Sabie Angling Club does not have club waters their anymore and have stopped stocking for years. I just feel that a place so natural and wonderful should be able to sustain itself quite well on it's own. There might be some over fishing or poaching next to the compounds but most areas are completely unspoilt with little or no human contact at all with the majority contact being tourists with cameras and hiking poles.

How far can a trout move in a river system after all? So many places have been actively stocked with fish and given the reputation of a trout it should surely be quite close to a bass in terms of survival? They are amongst some of he apex freshwater fish of the world and have managed to survive very well. Otherwise why would Fona and flora be so worried about them damaging our river systems or ecology there of? Sure the whole river system should have an active amount of trout left which co exists with Yellows very well?

The beauty of this area just leaves my mouth open and I refuse to believe that the fishing could be that bad or that the trout have just vanished. Other than this year we have had no major drought leaving rivers dry or any pollution or other natural disasters. Somewhere out there someone surely has unlocked the secrets of this place. Under normal circumstances we don't share secret spots but this fishery is so magical that it might just do with a little human intervention. I remember stories of yesteryear where my mom and dad used to take trout on a daily basis while hiking the Fanie Botha trail for instance. There was once a beautiful time where everywhere had trout....all the waterfall pools, mac-mac falls, even Witklip Dam had trout and Smallmouth bass. A nice 2kg trout even came out of Kwena Dam about 3 years ago right at the dam wall. What happened to all of this?

Surely trout in the area cant simply have gone AWOL on us...I am certain there has to be trout left...and some big boys at that as well seeing as there is zero fishing pressure....come on guru's please help us out...
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

MJ

This is a great opportunity to do some discovering.
    My view is that any river that once had a self-sustaining trout population and is relatively isolated from people will still have wild trout.
    The tough part is gaining access to land for some of those places.

I have fished there recently and can assure you there are plenty of trout around Pilgrims. Mpumalanga province comp team have been fishing it for the last 4 years and have had some really good results. The fish aren't massive but you do get a couple of fish up to 45cm. The river is also packed with small scale yellows and chisel mouth. When the water clears after the rain you can get some pretty awesome sight fishing.

Thanks a million Circus I agree with you 100%. Craig would it be ok if you send me your number via PM or drop me a whatsapp on 0812469313. Would love to find out where is a good place to go look. I have a general idea of where I used to catch but would feel better if I could confirm my suspicions.
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

I have very fond memories of fishing the Sabie River. It's a beautiful part of the world and I'll always remember my "secret" little spot along the river which required some bush-bashing to reach, but always rewarded me with a little trout or two.

I never quite made it to the Blyde, something I regret. But it's good to hear its trout are still thriving if the once fabulous town of Pilgrim's Rest isn't. I would often run in to poachers along the Sabie and I'm sure it happens anywhere trout are found in the region. I hope they continue to sustain themselves in these rivers for years to come in spite of the pressures so that I can make the trip back someday in the future and go exploring.

I'd love to hear if the OP went exploring in the end and what he found.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."